Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: high pressure reading,nothing moving

1. Back To Top    #1

high pressure reading,nothing moving

Hi guys this is whats going on. I have a 10000 gallon in ground vinyl liner pool about 6 years old, 1 1/2 hp pump, D.E. filter ,gas heater A new pump was installed this march before we opened the pool,along with a new mulitport gasket.Last thursday the pool co. opened the pool but it would not prime.After an hour of trying different things they left but the owner of the company came up later that eve. determined that the gasket around the filter basket needed to be replaced as well as the pressure switch for the heater..Well they finally got back on Monday,needless to say still nothing circulating. This what i did this morning, i turned off the pump,waited five minutes, turned it back on and everything was circulating, waterfall working, then as i watched, the water level in the skimmer basket slowly dropped and nothing was circulating, but the pressure was reading close to 30 lbs.So i have a new pump thats not doing anything but has a high pressure reading.Its 7.24 here in central jersey and the pool co. opens at 9.Sorry for the long post but any help would be appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: high pressure reading,nothing moving

Have you opened the filter and cleaned out all the old DE?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes , it was done at the closing and that was one of the things the pool company tried on thursday.

4. Back To Top    #4

Does the gauge go to zero when the pump is off?
    When you say "skimmer basket" are you meaning the pump strainer basket?
    How low does the water get in the basket/skimmer?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi guys thanks for all the responses and advice.Yes I meant pump strainer basket and the water would end up right below the basket and i did not notice the gage .However after all the angst the pool guy said i should backwash and that is what i just did.So far so good , getting good circulation,just hope when i get home tonight things will be working.Thanks again.

6. Back To Top    #6

ok guys this is whats happened.at 12 noon i back washed and had good flow.i came home from work at 8.00pm and again no circulation.i back washed again good good flow and just checked at 10 pm almost no flow.the algae is so thick that if i put my arm in the pool it comes out covered in green.i guess the warm winter and hot spring is not a good combo.so how do i clear up the algae? i never had this issue before so i am at a loss.

7. Back To Top    #7

Are you adding new DE after every backwash? You must or the gruds will get clogged.

These filters are very efficient at removing debris and it sounds like you pool has plenty to be removed.

Read pool school on defeating algae and shocking your pool.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone

EDIT: Decided to head over to the computer to give you the proper links. Start with these and if something does not make sense check the rest of Pool School. You will want to get a good test kit as recommended in my signature.
    Defeating Algae
    Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
    Shocking Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

yes i put the DE after every backwash the problem is the pump loses prime after about an hour .i read the links but without circulation ...is the algae clogging up the filter that i need to backwash in order to get things moving? thanks for all the help. jeff

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jkbird59
    ok guys this is whats happened.at 12 noon i back washed and had good flow.i came home from work at 8.00pm and again no circulation.i back washed again good good flow and just checked at 10 pm almost no flow.the algae is so thick that if i put my arm in the pool it comes out covered in green.i guess the warm winter and hot spring is not a good combo.so how do i clear up the algae? i never had this issue before so i am at a loss.
    This is the first time you have mentioned an algae problem. Has the thick algae been there the whole time you have been having trouble with the filter?
    TFP Moderator
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

yes i put the DE after every backwash the problem is the pump loses prime after about an hour .i read the links but without circulation ...is the algae clogging up the filter that i need to backwash in order to get things moving? thanks for all the help. jeff
    Algae will clog up a DE filter in no time flat. Are you currently using the shock process to kill the algae?
    TFP Moderator
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

yes i am.all that is now floating is grey goo which i am skimming off.so is not unreasonable to have to backwash every few hours?

12. Back To Top    #12

yes i am.all that is now floating is grey goo which i am skimming off.so is not unreasonable to have to backwash every few hours?
    It's absolutely normal with a DE filter.

If you have to leave for a longer period, you can run the filter on recirculate to keep water moving while you are gone, then switch back to filter when you get home.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

13. Back To Top    #13

wow great tip .thanks.i am leaving for work and will switch to recirculate. thanks