What does it mean when TA turns red after adding R0007/R008?

May 29, 2010
I tested my hot tub and PH is almost clear and TA turns to red instead of green after adding 2 drops of R0007 and 5 drops of R0008. I'm guessing it mean I have no TA or PH? Bromine level shows high but I only have test strips for that, my FAS-DPD test kit doesn't test for bromine levels. I've read high bromine levels could cause wrong readings of TA and PH, is that correct?

While researching this I added water which overflowed. I scooped out alot to get it down to normal. I added some PH and retest still shows bromine high on the strip. PH now shows a Barney the Dinosaur purple color. I retested TA and now after 2 dops of R0007 & 5 drops of R0008 the water is a bluish green. It only took one drop to get it to a reddish purple. I'm thinking I'll pull the bromine float and check it again in a few days. May be time to change the water :]

Re: What does it mean when TA turns red after adding R0007/R

When R-0008 turns red immediately, the pH is <= 4.5 and TA = 0 . You need to correct the pH ASAP.
The FAS-DPD can test for bromine, just multiply your results by 2.25.
High bromine can change the color of the pH reagent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.