I may be a chemist... but the pool is smarter than I am!

Started out this morning with: 7.5pH; 10FC; 200TA; 100CH - so I'm thinking good deal, we've been holding FC since the 24th.
Water is still tea brown; however, I think it may be just a tad lighter but the paper towels are still rust brown/black.
-
One of the people in town suggested using "Iron Out" that one can pickup at the local Menards as that was what they were told to do... (I guess by the pool store when it was open? Didn't think to ask). Seems to me, that when I read the label, that one of the ingredients is the same as the pH-Minus. Didn't do it, don't think I will do it.
-
While we were out, a small gale seems to have swept the midlands and blew the cover off the pool and knocked the strainer out of level in the process. Thus, I really didn't get much iron filtered today. Fortunately, the side of the strainer was still in the water so the pump wasn't running dry.

So, with the wind and the Sun playing havoc with my pool all day: 7.5pH; 5FC; 200TA; 100CH

Want to be able to swim in a few days so I decided to pull the cover back on and strap it down tonight as the weather is supposed to be rotten and check the levels after Mass.
-
So why did the Wind and the Sun get to swim in my pool without adult supervision? We went into the "Real" city where there are actual spa/sauna/pool stores that carry sandfilters etc.... Ended up at the Wal-Mart and picked up the http://www.walmart.com/ip/Your-Choi...Sand-Filter-with-Bonus-30-eGift-Card/20854377 as that was what was in the budget... got them to drop the price to match Target's online so not too bad of a deal. Got it home late this evening and started going thru the parts and doing a "dry-fit." Discovered that how we have the pool oriented makes putting the filter on the pad a tad tight and blocks the small pool drain. So I'll have to make a spot tomorrow, luckily I have some 12" square paver/step stones that once leveled, sunk into the ground, and staked at the center edge should make an ideal pad!

Can't wait to see if this will clear the water enough to swim in finally! Wife doesn't want want the kids suits full of iron for some reason. I tried to explain to her that they'd help with the filtration... :twisted:
-

Three more questions:
1) Should I add like a pound of the CYA to the water at this point?

1a) how long should the kids stay out of the pool after the CYA sock goes in?

2) When I run out of the HTH - Unstabilized chlorine, if I understand things correctly, I can go straight into using the BBB method without any jumping thru hoops?

3) Is there a way to save the pool-calculator for use offline. I've tried a few methods; however, I think the proxy server my IT goes thru is blocking something.

4) What am I going to do with that little 1000gph pump... not supposed to run it with people in the pool; however, I can see a water feature coming and I need a way to aerate the pool to raise the pH when I drop it. Time to do another search!

-
WC

wetchem said:
Three more questions:
Technically it's five.

wetchem said:
1) Should I add like a pound of the CYA to the water at this point?
I would. Get it up to 30 and give that a try.

wetchem said:
1a) how long should the kids stay out of the pool after the CYA sock goes in?
They can be in there while it's in a sock in front of the return...it is very slow dissolving, in fact have them give it a squeeze while there in there every once and awhile to speed it up.

wetchem said:
2) When I run out of the HTH - Unstabilized chlorine, if I understand things correctly, I can go straight into using the BBB method without any jumping thru hoops?
Yes. Just wanted to check, is the HTH is Calcium Hypochlorite?

wetchem said:
3) Is there a way to save the pool-calculator for use offline. I've tried a few methods; however, I think the proxy server my IT goes thru is blocking something.
Do a save as to get it local. Save as webpage complete at least in firefox.

wetchem said:
4) What am I going to do with that little 1000gph pump... not supposed to run it with people in the pool; however, I can see a water feature coming and I need a way to aerate the pool to raise the pH when I drop it. Time to do another search!
Get rid of it? Yeah do some searching, but I have not seen much use of it after people have upgraded.

wetchem said:
One of the people in town suggested using "Iron Out" that one can pickup at the local Menards as that was what they were told to do... (I guess by the pool store when it was open? Didn't think to ask). Seems to me, that when I read the label, that one of the ingredients is the same as the pH-Minus. Didn't do it, don't think I will do it.
There is some good info and product suggestions in here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/metal stains

Finally, you need to get a good test kit (see test kits in my sig). I like the TF-100. You will be dangerous at home and it is small enough that wife need not know :wink:

linen said:
Technically it's five.
Sorry, long day and a late night... my count-Dracula got confuzzzzeded :)

linen said:
I would. Get it up to 30 and give that a try... in fact have them give it a squeeze while there in there every once and awhile to speed it up.
They'll love that... the only time they get to play with the chemicals.

linen said:
Yes. Just wanted to check, is the HTH is Calcium Hypochlorite?
Yes, just went out to double check. Given the vinyl pool and the lower CH I haven't been too concerned about using it at this point; however, locally it's around $12 for a 5lb bottle plus having to premix it before adding it to the pool is both costly and a hassle.

linen said:
Do a save as to get it local. Save as webpage complete at least in firefox.
Yep, there must be something goofy in either the proxy or the firewall on my end as that is what I tried. Off to dig into the settings. You should have been here when I set up the printer on the home network... MS, technically correct answers, but rarely actually useful!

linen said:
Get rid of it? Yeah do some searching, but I have not seen much use of it after people have upgraded.!
Seems a shame, maybe I'll get a small kiddy pool and bore some holes in the side... then the kids can rinse off the feet and the filter will pull to crud out. Betcha someone already has the setup made that I borrow the idea from!

linen said:
There is some good info and product suggestions in here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/metal stains.
Yep, one of the things I read before I joined the group here.... must have read thru a hundred different posts before finally joining. What is sad, we live in town; thus, I used city water to fill the pool. Looked beautiful... then the poop-soup showed up. If one drives around town you can see on the sides of the houses the red/brown on the house exteriors from the sprinklers. In retrospect, I should have expected the iron to drop out of solution.

linen said:
Finally, you need to get a good test kit (see test kits in my sig). I like the TF-100. You will be dangerous at home and it is small enough that wife need not know :wink:
I had hoped to pick that up at the pool store, it is a Leslie's store; however, either they had a huge run on the kits or they didn't stock them. All they had were the "basic" and "deluxe" kits. I cleared the kits with the wife... so long as they only change colours and don't catch fire, catch me on fire, catch the kids on fire, can't be used to make rocket fuel... if she only knew what the bleach can be used for! All those years in college and what do I remember... the pretty sparks and colours!
I'll be ordering the TF-100 here next month when the budget opens back up... the government may think the economy is getting better; however, I haven't seen more than a 2% raise in any given year in the past 10 let alone the last few years and yet the cost of milk, bread, and fuel has increased over 300%... :blah: and I'll stop that rant right there :blah:

DiscoDan said:
Did you get just the saltwater gen or did you get the salt + the sand filter?
Actually just the sand filter. They wouldn't throw in the saltwater gen along with dropping the price to match Target... had to ask them though! :twisted:
The saltwater gen will be next year... after I drop the iron out again, and filter, and filter, and filter, and filter... is there an echo in here>?<

Well, off to test the water, level the ground, and install the sandfilter... and a little prayer... :angel:

:bowdown: Once again: THANK YOU all for your help and support... so great that people are still willing to lend a hand and knowledge to help the nubies like myself :bowdown:

-Just another WetChemist

it may be my imagination; however, it the pool does seem to be a little clearer already... only been a few hours.
set the pump to run for 6 hours then I'll go change out the paper towels... that could be fun as I had to put the cover back on and lash it down... more foul weather! An actual dust storm, in the midwest, really! :?

and today's ponies are: 7.5pH; 5FC; 100CH; 200TA; 0CYA
looking for that old sock... never can find an old sock when you want one, but be running late for work... all you can do is pull out the odd no-match!

-wc

Yea... all of that work and then it rained and rained and rained... filled the pool to the rails! Was just 2" above the return when I went to bed, that's a lot of rain! Well the new pump will make quick work of draining the level back down and it should help to dilute all that iron... :ROTFL:
-
wc

[Edit]This Evening:
Took advantage of the extra 4" of water in the pool to back flush the filter, may not have needed it; however, the water needed to be drained as it was right to the top of the cutouts!... dark brown/red!

This evening's ponies: 7.8pH; 2FC; 200TA; 100CH; 0CYA (haven't added it yet... decided to hold off until the heavy rains pass)
Figure between the rain and refilling the pool is where the Cl- was mostly lost.

-wc

OK, last night after pulling the water level down I pH adjusted the water, added some Cl- and put 16oz of the CYA in a sock suspended in front of the return.

So this morning's numbers are: 7.4pH; 12FC; 200TA; 120CH;
I'm guessing between 10 and 30 CYA as I don't have that test in lab so I'll check that this evening.

Really surprised about the jump in Cl- as I thought I had added only 4oz of the HTC stuff, should have been only enough to bump the levels back to 4 to 5FC.

Lots of stuff on the floor of the pool... just hope it's not sand, it shouldn't be as the stuff I got from the poolstore was white and this stuff is brownish and it swirls when when swept; however, we can see the floor of the pool! There is still a green colour to the pool; however, it's clear and the side walls do not feel slick. The paper towels are not turning as dark brown.

I can see a kid in the pool very soon!

-
wc

I think the pool may actually be clear! YEA! :party:

For the last two days we've held at: 7.5pH; 4FC; 120CH; 200TA; 25CYA
I've been using the timer on the sand filter to let it run for about 6 hours each night and the paper towels have barely turned colour the last few times... actually, the last time I didn't change them out, they're doing a good job of keeping the small junk out of the pump's trap... pre-filter for the filter.

Managed to get some of the junk on the bottom of the pool caught on the leaf skimmer... some sort of plant parts and stuff that swirled thru the mesh, more than likely some of the iron or blown dirt. I did set the pool up partially under a tree and the brown bits look a lot like something that would have come from it. So now I'm off to get something real to vaccum the bottom of the pool with so that we can get rid of the final debris and crud.

I might let the kids swim today; however, it's turned a tad chilly - only 40°F this morning with a high of only the low 60s expected! We went from 90s to 60s in one day, crazy summer!!! At least this weekend it should be back to the 80s.

-wc

-wc

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Isaac-1 said:
I doubt the kids would notice, the water will probably stay fairly warm for a day or so. :)
well.... the pool filled with 40°F water from the tap... stuck a thermometer in it this morning and the water was just hovering around 50ish. Need another week of hot weather. You know, that dark rust brown may have been helping the heat the pool :evil:

csigirl said:
Just a quick question....Where are you located? The weather sounds like a nightmare! LOL. Good luck, I hope the kids are swimming soon!

Nebraska

Normally only a few feet of snow and few subzero winter days and then a short spring and fall, with a "cook you in the oven summer," (so the pool should warm nicely - may need to look at a refrigeration unit instead of a solar heater :ROTFL: ) - but it's not normally too humid, that dry heat, except last year... thought the tropics had moved in along with the heat, that was rough!

I grew up in a Military family, as did my wife, (all the parents are retired now for several years, thankfully retired - however, as with many, I do have family in the active military and now in Afghanistan - small prayer for their safety :angel: ), so as kid/teen I've lived all over the country, never overseas though... would have liked to have been in Japan and Australia; however, that never worked out... went to Hawaii for a short time, so cool, would have loved to stay there, however, I wouldn't have made it thru school - wouldn't have left the beaches! Nebraska (ended up here after college for work) isn't too bad a place to live depending on how far you are from one of the major cities (Lincoln, Omaha, Grand Island, Kearny)... you get used to calling a store, even in town, to see if they carry something before you drive 1/2hr to 2hrs :!: That is one thing... you are driving, not sitting on the highway. Still, I miss the beach and the ocean... the rivers and the ponds just are not the same.

Off to see if WalliWorld has something to vacuum with as the stuff at Menards wont fit the poll. Would like to find a brush/vacuum combo... more than likely... back into the big city to find something like that... :sigh: The down side of small town Nebraska... and I'm living in one of the larger cities, but still, not a major city - go figure!

:whoot: Oh Ya There is a bottom to the pool, and the sun sparkles from the surface :whoot:
:wave: WC

On a BBB note: Menard's has the 12-15% "Bleach" for $3.80ish/gal, Walli is selling their 6% for $2.70/gal... save a buck and change and I have one less bottle to deal with! Gota love the internet!

-wc

To use the pool calculator offline, right click on the page outside of the table, and then choose view source. Then, select the entire page of text, copy, and then paste into notepad or another text editor (not MS Word, just text). Then "save as" and give the file the extension of .html (i.e. "poolcalc.html"). Save to your desktop or wherever you can find it easily.

Now you can open that file in any browser that has javascript enabled and it'll work. Use the full filepath in the browser url bar. So, if you save the file to c:\users\poolDad\mydocuments\pools directory, enter "c:\user\poolDad\mydocuments\pools\poolcalc.html".

Glad to be of service :~}

FYI, the only reason this works is because the css and javascript is in the html page itself, rather than an outside file. The standard norm in today's web world however is to do the opposite and link to these files instead. (that probably makes no sense to you but I can't explain it any other way without writing a novel so I'm leaving it at that)

So if you use this trick on another similar calculator or web page and none of the calculations or fields work like the online version... that's the reason. Not that you can't do the same thing with such a web page, but you'll have to modify some code and save some extra files to accomplish it.

Good thing to point out for the offline usage vs. other websites.
-
Today's #'s 7.8pH; 2FC; 120CH; 200TA; 25CYA
-
Well, vacuumed the pool... discovered that the pole that comes with the intex stuff doesn't fit anything they sell locally so I had to buy a different pole... also decided that the 1-1/4 vacuum hose was not the way to go! Took it back and picked up the 1-1/2 hose... still had to move the head slowly; however, all of the dirt is off the bottom of the pool. Had to refill the pool with the city water and back flush the filter as it was in the yellow, :roll: , so the next time I have to take the Cl- up I'm sure to be in the same boat with the brown stuff - what can one do?! At least I have a clue what to do now... I may still add some of the sequestering stuff as I have half a bottle left.
-
Did a price comparison based on the available Cl- in the stuff Menard's had vs the Wallieworld. Seems the pricing in the stores was a tad different than online (go figure). WW has their 6% stuff in a 182oz (5.38L) for $2.98, M's 12.5% Stuff in a 128oz (3.78L) for $3.99. So when you work out the math based on the same amount of Cl- per oz used, they are both running about $0.016/oz and the name brand Clorox is right at $0.02 even; thus, the only advantage is the smaller bottle and smaller measure of M's stuff to adjust Cl- levels.

Also discovered that our WW doens't carry 20mule or any borax... I asked, the first girl looked at me like I had a third eye (maybe I do, hard to tell); however, an older lady (like my g.ma's age) knew what I was asking for... seems that since the "pods" for the laundry detergent showed up, they stopped carrying the 20mule at our store. Big-town-with-small-town-mental health issues. :roll:
-
Back to pool school, the HTC bottles talk about "shocking" the pool once a week to get the Cl- levels back up; however, that just doesn't seem right to me and I don't remember that in the poolschool...
we never did that with my Aunt's pool, and she had a pro come out and check hers and either he would add the stuff or tell us to add this amount or that amount of this or that and then test the water to make sure we were back in the pH and Cl- range marked on the test wheel. Her pool was always soooooo pretty and we never smelled like Cl- nor did our eyes burn like in the city pool. That was over 30 years ago... wonder if he was using BBB? :)
When I worked in the hotel the only time we did something like, "Shock" the pool was at start-up (there was a check list that told us what to do and we'd just keep adding a small bottle of stuff until the pH was right and the Cl- level didn't drop for 24 hours), someone pooped in it, or the Cl- levels dropped below 2 then we'd dump two bottles of the liquid in the pool at night, lock the gates to keep the kids out, and check the level in the morning and the afternoon to see if/when the pool could be opened. Shut down... easy... we were in North TX then... the pool never shut down, if you wanted to swim, then you could... tad cold when the ice was on the sidewalks!
-
and... while picking up the hose, I ran into a couple that was just setting up their pool, thankfully they hadn't filled it yet; however, it looked like they were about to pick up a cart full of HTC stuff. I gave them this website, told them my woes, and sent them (hopefully) to poolschool!
-

wc

You will probably need to keep some sequesterant on hand. I don't know how much you will need to add or if you have to add it whenever you top off the pool. Someone with more experience with sequesterants will need to chime in on that.

Some folks just order boric acid online to add borates to their pools. Sometimes it works out a little cheaper, and you don't have to add the MA.

HTH and other pool chemical companies tell you to "shock" once a week because that is the only time you add chlorine to the pool if you follow their recommendations. A typical 1 lb bag of shock raises FC by 10 ppm. They don't take CYA levels into account and assume every pool has the same chlorine demand and shock level. So, by their standard if you raise the FC to 10 ppm that will "shock" the pool and you allow the levels to drop over the course of the week. And they tell you to wait for it to drop below 10 ppm to swim. A pool that is properly maintained may never need to go through what we call the shock process. If you keep the FC at the upper end of the recommended range and don't allow it to drop below the minimum your pool will only need to go through the shock process if you have had an "unfortunate event" (fecal accident, some chemical spills, friends who think they know better and try to help you when you're away, equipment failure, ect...)

I often tell friends about TFP, but most of them don't believe me, or say something like "that sounds nice but my builder says, blah, blah, blah..." If they are looking for a better way they may give it a try. Don't take it personal when folks say your pool is clear because its small, or its not a real pool, or your just lucky and wait a year or two and your pool will be terrible. If it holds water it can be a pool, I don't care what size it is! The ratios may change but the science remains the same.

wetchem said:
On a BBB note: Menard's has the 12-15% "Bleach" for $3.80ish/gal, Walli is selling their 6% for $2.70/gal... save a buck and change and I have one less bottle to deal with! Gota love the internet!

-wc

Menards will have their liquid chlorine on sale 50% off every few weeks - at least they did last year and I have seen it on sale already once this year. Watch for it and stock up.

Re-read the poolschool and Zea's post... this makes more sense to me now as to how the Cl- is supposed to work.
Seems more efficient to keep the levels up like we did at my Aunt's and the Hotel... pro-active, not re-active, works that way in the lab too!
-
@savdoc2: Thanks for the heads-up; I'll have to keep an eagle eye out for their sales!
-
-wc

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.