Mar 31, 2012
Ok, so I have a BBB vinyl pool that I'm keeping at

FC - 3-6
CC - 0
TA - 90
PH - 7.2-7.4 . rising recently to7.6
CYA - 70
temp (heater) - 74-80

It's been like this for a few weeks. Water is very clear, but occasionally see some cloudy sections, particularly after using the leaf rake and cleaning debris off the bottom. Overnight tests have shown loss of around .05-1.0 FC.

I have some visible metal stains on the liner that I want to remove. I've done the vitC test, and it proves positive. So I'm prepared for the AA process.

But, I also have an SWG (compupool CPSC36) that I'd like to install.

So my question is this - what order do I do these things in, considering that after the AA process the recommendation is to NOT shock for 2 weeks. My biggest concern is if I do AA first and letting the FC drop, and bringing down the PH to 7.0, then readjusting back to normal levels will require a shock in less than 2 weeks and bring back the stains.

Should I install the SWG, balance out the numbers once I add the salt, then let the PH and FC get down to AA levels (effectively turning off the SWG and muriatic acid to lower the PH), do the AA process, gradually bring up the PH and FC and not shock for 2 weeks?

TIA,
Brian

I would go ahead and install the SWG and add salt first, but it isn't really going to make much of a difference either way.

Getting an algae bloom and having to put up with it for a week or two is one of the risks of doing an AA treatment. You can usually avoid it by having the pool perfect before starting and using polyquat algaecide, but there is always some risk. Having or not having a SWG won't make cleaning up that algae any easier or faster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.