New with Questions

May 21, 2012
York Pennsylvania
Hi all, I have read it all, on this site, learning more then I thought I needed to. I like how everyone answers with such good information that is backed up by fact.

I just opened my pool Friday, looked clear at first but, started to turn green fast. I shocked it at 15 PPM for 48 hours and then started letting the FC level drop on its own. The green turned to white cloud, and now the pool is clearing nicely. Back flushing every 6 hr or so. I have been using the calculator but have some reservations...

1. Do I want to use traditional or trouble free pool numbers?
2. My 100 pound sand filter with new sand reads 15 psi. When it gets to 25 I back flush and it returns to 15 psi. I see In quit a few post that other peoples sand filters run at a lot lower pressure. Not sure if im ok here??
3. Earlier today FC 1.5, PH 6.8, TA 120, CH 250, CYA 70 : I started aerating and bought BORAX but have not put it in. Added Bleach and brought FC up to 6.0, aerating has brought PH to 7.3, and all other readings the same...TA 120, CH 250, CYA 70. If I stop aerating will the PH drop again? How would I correct this if my PH drops to 6.8 again seeing if I add acid it will drop my PH further, and If I add borax it will raise my TA from the calculator 16 (ouch).

Thanks in advance for your comments...

24' x52" Round Aprox. 15k Gal AGP
Hayward 100 pound sand filter with 1 HP pump

Welcome. Here you are at TroubleFreePool, so of course we recommend using the trouble free numbers. :)

Filter pressure depends on a large number of factors and is very different from pool to pool. 15 is a perfectly acceptable pressure. By the by I recommend backwashing when the pressure gets to about 19, instead of waiting for 25.

As long as your PH is at least 7.2, keep raising it with aeration. PH below 7.0 can cause damage, so it is good to raise to at least 7.0 quickly. But once you are at 7.2+ you can take your time.

No the pH will not drop just because you stop aeration.

There is an article in pool school on how to lower TA. Basically acid lowers pH and TA. Aeration raises pH. And more acid ... rinse and repeat.

While you are reading, review the shocking your pool article. What you described was not the correct process to ensure your pool is algae free.

Good call on adding the FAS-DPD test.

Btw, I would focus on the shock process before worrying about the TA.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

I would like to second the idea to focus on shocking your pool and work on TA down the road.

Your sand filter pressure is a little higher than average (but it's still OK) because your filter is perhaps just a little small for your system. I would also suggest you backwash when the psi increases by only 25%...you're waiting a little too long.

The shock process I described was done before I found TFP and was suggested by pool store. Since I got lucky and it worked I did not repeat. Yesterday evening I raised FC to 6.0. This morning 6.0 read with DPD. Also PH now 7.6 and I stopped aerating. Guess I'll get some acid and work on the TA. Water clear now but dull looking. Also bacwashed filter this morning it was up to 19 again. Thanks for the advice. I'm still reading and listening.