Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any ideas on how to stop drains to work on multiport valve?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any ideas on how to stop drains to work on multiport valve?

I would like to retape my threads to the multi port valve but am not able to accomplish it before water comes gushing out. I am trying to think of some way to cover the drains to allow me time to repair, even better I would like to install another PVC valve to shut off flow to the multi-port.
    I first tried putting some filter sand into a gallon sized ziplock bag but it's not large enough to cover the drains. I then made these rings out of old filter hoses. I filled them with pea gravel, taped them into a circle and taped visqueen over it. The idea was that once placed over the drain and the winterizng cap was removed, the pressure would suck the plastic to the holes of the drain. Obviously, that didn't work either. I could try to find a bigger ziplock bag but I figured I would find a forum in hopes that some one would have encountered the same dilemma. Thanks for any help!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Any ideas on how to stop drains to work on multiport val

Welcome to TFP!

The best solution is to remove the drain cover and plug the pipe opening with a winterizing plug. If that seems too complex, there are some shower mats that are large enough to seal a main drain if well held down around the edge.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Any ideas on how to stop drains to work on multiport val

welcome to TFP.

What kind of pool is it? (above or inground?)

Which drains are you trying to close?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit