Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: THANK YOU!!! and hello ;-)

1. Back To Top    #1

THANK YOU!!! and hello ;-)

discovered this forum last wednesday, ordered my tftkit and received it friday afternoon. spent the weekend analyzing the water and am ready to post some test results.

First the back story; ordered and had installed a 27' above ground kit from local pool co. last fall. Used it 2 times and closed for winter using the supplied winterizing kit.

Opened 10 days ago and water was crystal clear. Used test strips and noted zero FC, stabilizer and low pH.

Over the last 5 days Ive added 4 1 pound bags of stablizer from pool mart, and just curious about such low CYA readings.

Im consuming about 2.5-3 FC a day. Pool is in direct sunlight the entire day, I dont use solar cover.

OK here's my readings from an hour ago ( note I added 3 qts of bleach about 5pm est. tests performed at 830 est

FC 4.5
    did the CC and measured .5 so my
    TC should be 5.0?
    pH 7.4
    TA 120
    CH 250
    CYA less than 20 ( could still see black dot just a lil')
    temp 70 (questionable cruddy thermometer)

as mentioned in the title, thanks to you folks 1000% Ive already passed this site along to 6 or 7 people i work with today alone

best,
    justin
    27' above ground
    voyager cartridge
    2.25 hp hayward pump 2 speed

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: THANK YOU!!! and hello ;-)

Your CYA level is very low, so you are losing most of your chlorine to sunlight. As CYA continues to rise you will lose less chlorine to sunlight. CYA will continue coming up for several days yet. However, if I am guessing right about your pool volume you are likely to need to add a little more once the current cycle is complete. Wait until it has been a full week since your most recent addition, then test the CYA level again and raise CYA from where ever it is then to around 50.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Welcome to TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

@ blakej thanks !

@jason I havent added any stabilizer since friday. Ive read quite a bit in the pool school about the dreads of too much so im taking it easy. Also, forgot to mention in the OP the pool water is just perfectly clear so Im not stressing about anything, but being new to the BBB just want to be prepared for the unknown.

also, i just read your sig, did you write the structure for the pool calculator iphone app? i bought it the other day based on TFPkit and it works great, just have to reload all my data each time. thanks again i really appreciate everything.
    27' above ground
    voyager cartridge

5. Back To Top    #5

I wrote the original version of the Pool Calculator. It was sold to pSiFlow Technology a few years ago and they manage the current web and iPhone versions.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

update:

measured just my FC and CC this am, 7am est

FC 5
    CC 0.0

so there must have been a little unregistered FC in the water from last night. and now the CC went from .5 to 0.0 so everything looks great. Now to attend to the CYA a little bit. As a side note, does stabilizer loose its strength as many other chemicals do? the woman at the pool place found some stabilizer bags in 1 pound size she sold to me as miscellaneous sale at $1 a piece.....
    27' above ground
    voyager cartridge

7. Back To Top    #7

CYA/stabilizer lasts for years. Should not be a problem.

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

does stabilizer loose its strength as many other chemicals do?
    No, it should be just like buying new.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok thank you Dave, and thank you for the site. I'll be making my way over to the support page soon. Tell the Mrs. Thank you for me for such awesomely fast shipping on the TFTkit.
    27' above ground
    voyager cartridge

10. Back To Top    #10

@butterfly missed your post before. Thanks for the info. I actually didn't know it lasted that long. Will take even more precaution bringing CYA up to standard.
    27' above ground
    voyager cartridge

11. Back To Top    #11

g'morning folks just an update; pool water is crystal clear and just oh so perfect. thanks

Here's my full test readings from this morning. i added 1 lb of stabilizer on Friday so the CYA should come up another 10 points or so in the next few days. chlorine consumption isnt too bad at all. over night i lost less than .5 -- it was 3 via the quick test kit last night and this am its 2.5 with the full test.

FC 2.5
    CC 0
    TC 2.5
    pH 7.4
    TA 60 was pink then red at 80
    CH 240
    CYA 20-25
    27' above ground
    voyager cartridge