dirt entering pool question

bribri

Mar 22, 2012
If I shut off my pump and then turn it on dirt passes through my sand filter into my pool. The Sand is one season old and was bought at the local pool store. Is this normal or is the sand too course? I've put DE media in but I fear it will also pass through. I let the pressure build 25% before a backwashing. I don't like vacuuming all the time.
Thanks Brian

bribri said:
If I shut off my pump and then turn it on dirt passes through my sand filter into my pool. The Sand is one season old and was bought at the local pool store. Is this normal or is the sand too course? I've put DE media in but I fear it will also pass through. I let the pressure build 25% before a backwashing. I don't like vacuuming all the time.
Thanks Brian

Tell us about your pool and equipment.

The fact that pressure builds sounds like your filter is doing its job. That means the dirt probably isn't actually passing through the sand, but may be bypassing it when the water above the sand gets dirty while the pump is off, then sneaks through the multiport when the pump comes back on. I'd think that an issue with the riser pipe or it's connection at the top could cause a surge of dirt when you turn the pump on

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.