Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: dirt entering pool question

1. Back To Top    #1

dirt entering pool question

If I shut off my pump and then turn it on dirt passes through my sand filter into my pool. The Sand is one season old and was bought at the local pool store. Is this normal or is the sand too course? I've put DE media in but I fear it will also pass through. I let the pressure build 25% before a backwashing. I don't like vacuuming all the time.
    Thanks Brian

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: dirt entering pool question

Is it possible that you have a broken lateral?
    18'x48" AG
    Pentair 1 1/2 HP Dynamo Pump
    Sand Dollar Sand Filter w/ Zeobrite
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

3. Back To Top    #3

no, I checked them all ready. Good condition.

4. Back To Top    #4

You can try using a skimmer sock all the time. That and DE in your filter are your best bets. Unless of course you want to change to a DE filter.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by bribri
    If I shut off my pump and then turn it on dirt passes through my sand filter into my pool. The Sand is one season old and was bought at the local pool store. Is this normal or is the sand too course? I've put DE media in but I fear it will also pass through. I let the pressure build 25% before a backwashing. I don't like vacuuming all the time.
    Thanks Brian
    Tell us about your pool and equipment.

The fact that pressure builds sounds like your filter is doing its job. That means the dirt probably isn't actually passing through the sand, but may be bypassing it when the water above the sand gets dirty while the pump is off, then sneaks through the multiport when the pump comes back on. I'd think that an issue with the riser pipe or it's connection at the top could cause a surge of dirt when you turn the pump on
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat