Opinions on pool and equipment

SkidRowe

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 27, 2011
Zebulon, NC
Hi All,
Long time lurker and been reading many many posts and now ready to take the plunge (ok, I know, I know that’s been done many times but I could not resist :oops: ). So any way I want to see what the group thinks of these details and what you might suggest as any changes. This is our first pool so I am sure that I have some newbie learning also.

18x33 Sentinelle AGP (Aqua Leader)
Liner
Wide mouth Skimmer
1.5 hp PowerFlo Matrix pump with strainer (Hayward)
Hayward S180T 18” Pro Series Sand Filter
Equipment Pad
Salt System Hayward aquatrol rj
Majestic Step
Aquabot pool rover sport
1 light (in wall or in step) halogen
Heater (propane) Hayward H-series
Water and install for $13,000

So what do you all think of this? Is this a good price and good equipment? BTW, this is in Raleigh NC.

Thanks for all the help/advice. Once we get this installed I am sure I will be asking many more questions.

A larger filter would be money well spent. Larger filters are more efficient and go longer between backwashing/cleaning. I also recommend a two speed pump. Low speed will save you a significant amount of money on electricity and you still have high speed available should you need it.

I have many things on my pool you want. SO I say it sounds good. I do have the 2 speed pump and that was money well spent. Also look into the colored LED light that is made for the majestic stairs. Its a quality light and does 16 colors. I run natural gas for my heater and would get a 200K BTU one if I did it over. My pool is roughly 13500 gallons and I got the 150K BTU. It does a fine job but the larger one for a couple more hundred would have heated to pool much faster. My father has a 17k pool and has the 200K heater and it heats that pool faster then mine being smaller. I use the Pool rover and again another couldn't luive without purchase. I use mine daily. Price, well that is influenced by where you live. Don't forget a quality test kit. I see some in my area with killer pools and then they pull out strips to do the testing. I have tested a few after with my taylor and they are usually in shock at the real values.

I almost bought an Aqua Leader pool, they were #2 on my list, their pools look great and have a solid reputation. A couple of factors led me to Sharkline instead but it certainly wasn't an issue of quality.
Post some pics when it's up.

Thanks for the info. I will check into the variable speed pump and maybe a larger heater. Good test kit also on the list. They are putting something in the purchase price but I am sure it's a cheapy one. I will be running off of propane, but that should not be an issue. I'll certainly post pictures once we get everything lined up. I am still on the fence on the pool, but my wife has been relentless on this :hammer: .

Anyone have any concerns on dogs in a AGP? Reading through the forums it doesn't sound like I should be overly concerned with.

SkidRowe said:
Thanks for the info. I will check into the variable speed pump and maybe a larger heater. Good test kit also on the list. They are putting something in the purchase price but I am sure it's a cheapy one. I will be running off of propane, but that should not be an issue. I'll certainly post pictures once we get everything lined up. I am still on the fence on the pool, but my wife has been relentless on this :hammer: .

Anyone have any concerns on dogs in a AGP? Reading through the forums it doesn't sound like I should be overly concerned with.

We have a couple small dogs Maltese and Imperial Shih Tzu. I never allowed them in the water but I also don't allow them access to the pool unattended. I could never have a pool when we raised Weimaraner's or they would have ruined the liner in about 2 min LOL. I was not gun hoe on the pool either with a young one 3 yrs old but it has turned out to be one of the best investments ever for family time. You'll love it especially if you follow this board. I know many hate pools after doing them but they stay with expensive pool store chemicals and listen to them also. This is the way to go and much cheaper on the wallet to boot.

SkidRowe said:

Ask about a two speed pump, not a variable speed. A variable is more complicated to wire and more expensive. I changed a single speed Hayward 1.5 for a two speed 1 hp and haven't regretted it.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.