Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I find that in the heat of the summer, I am adding about 1" of water to the pool every week.
This year I'm expecting watering bans due to the low water level.

Has anyone given any thought to directing rain water into the pool.
I have a shingled roof, with a downspout close enough that I could gerryrig something up.

I was thinking of a redirecting down spout through a screen into a large pail, then using the overflow from the pail routed into the pool.
The sediments etc from the roof would be caught in the screen and pail.

It would likely mean my pH would stay down without adding acid.

Would it be worth it?

There certainly are people that do that ... I think to help reduce CH levels. Your setup sounds pretty good to avoid the debris off the roof (like parts of the shingles) from getting to your pool.

Richard320 gave me the idea, and I'm using cheap panty hose on the end as my filter to keep the shingle crud out of the pool. Here's his threads...

to-drain-or-not-to-drain-t41304.html
finally-some-rainwater-dilution-t28006.html

My setup isn't quite as effective because the closest downspout I could connect to doesn't get a huge area of the roof. (Also, Murphy's Law of pools, the day before I set up the tubing was the last day of any serious rain, and it's been a couple of weeks.) I can't comment yet on success or not, but I'm giving it a shot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.