Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Rain Water

Rain Water

I find that in the heat of the summer, I am adding about 1" of water to the pool every week.
    This year I'm expecting watering bans due to the low water level.

Has anyone given any thought to directing rain water into the pool.
    I have a shingled roof, with a downspout close enough that I could gerryrig something up.

I was thinking of a redirecting down spout through a screen into a large pail, then using the overflow from the pail routed into the pool.
    The sediments etc from the roof would be caught in the screen and pail.

It would likely mean my pH would stay down without adding acid.

Would it be worth it?
    Carl Schnurr
    96,000 litre inground, vinyl liner, 1.5 HP 1speed pump, sand filter, Aqua-rite SWG, Hayward Ultra Vac, installed 2005

Re: Rain Water

There are a few users that do just that, but I cant recall the threads
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

There certainly are people that do that ... I think to help reduce CH levels. Your setup sounds pretty good to avoid the debris off the roof (like parts of the shingles) from getting to your pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Richard320 gave me the idea, and I'm using cheap panty hose on the end as my filter to keep the shingle crud out of the pool. Here's his threads...

to-drain-or-not-to-drain-t41304.html
    finally-some-rainwater-dilution-t28006.html

My setup isn't quite as effective because the closest downspout I could connect to doesn't get a huge area of the roof. (Also, Murphy's Law of pools, the day before I set up the tubing was the last day of any serious rain, and it's been a couple of weeks.) I can't comment yet on success or not, but I'm giving it a shot.
    TFP Moderator33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1.5HP PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater
    Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Sportsman's Guide has rain barrell collectors with a hose port at the bottom. You can run a hose directly to the pool. Just do a search on their site - they have a number of options.
    17x39 Rectangular, 20,000 Gal, Plaster, Pentair Easy Touch Automation and Remote
    Pentair WhisperFlow 2 hp pump with Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Master Temp Gas Heater, Pentair IntelliChlor IC-40, Pentair Kreepy Krauly Legend II Cleaner
    ..and one frog that thinks the pool is his.