Hello, guys. I should first say thank you for being here for newbies like me & my husband. We are new pool owners (~2 months) & know absolutely nothing about pool care! But I am working on changing that & have been staying up til 2 or 3AM x 3 (or is it 4?) days, immersing myself in the pool school.
We have been enjoying our pool until it rained for a couple of days last week. The water just kept getting murkier & is now a solid, sickly green!
I had the water tested at a local pool store. Results as ff:
CH 125 (calculated fr TH 188)
After all the late nights educating myself, I have come up w/ a plan. I would appreciate any feedback. I think we may need a little handholding...ack! I should say, I KNOW we need a LOT of handholding, so please bear with me if (& when) I ask seemingly stupid questions. So, here goes:
1) Order TF100 test kit - DONE
- Question: Should I wait for the test kit to arrive? In all honesty, I would rather start this
today, this evening.
2) Stock up on supplies - DONE
5 cases of 3/182oz per case of Bleach 6%
2 gal Muriatic Acid 31.45%
1 pk (6.12kg) Arm & Hammer Pure baking soda
- Q: Do I have enough to see this through?
3) Clean filter, skimmer, pump baskets. - DONE
4) Turn pump on 24/7.
- Q: Since I have a VSP, what speed should I keep it at? Right now it's as ff:
Speed 1 - 85% - OFF
Speed 2 - 65% - 9am - 1pm
Speed 3 - 45% - 1pm - 5pm
Speed 4 - 35% - 5pm - 9pm
-Q: Do I also keep the sheer descents & swim jet turned on?
5) Adjust pH level from 8.1 to 7.2. Using the pool calculator, I will pour 42oz of Muriatic acid on the deep end, near a return.
- Q: How soon can I test the pH? I will be using aqua check strips my PB provided
until the test kit arrives...
6) Do I also need to adjust TA before shocking? If so, do I do this before balancing pH? What TA level should I go for for my pool?
7) SHOCK! SKIM! SHOCK! BRUSH! SHOCK! BRUSH!
- With a CYA 40, my shock level is 15, I will pour 3 jugs of 182 oz of bleach, wait 1 HR, repeat. And brush the heck out of the pool during wait times.
-Q: If I'm doing this w/o my test kit, do I pour the same amount every hour on the hour
until pool water is clear? I have enough bleach to do 5 cycles tonight. Then have water
tested in pool store twice a day, early AM & evening, that is until my test kit gets here &
adjust shock levels accordingly.
- Q: Should I turn the chlorinator off while doing all this?
8) Repeat until an overnight FC loss test <1ppm.
9) Clean filters, skimmers, pump baskets as necessary.
10) Balance water chemistry.
Sorry for a long first post, but as you probably can tell, I'm itching to get started!