Is This Algae?

May 13, 2012
Montgomery, AL
Hi All, I'm a new pool owner in need of help. We just filled our pool on Thurs/Fri, added salt and waited the required 24 hours before running the SWG. I let the kids swim on Saturday, but then read "Pool School" and got really nervous since I had not added any chemicals to the pool yet. So went to Wal-mart Sat. evening and picked up the needed items. I've ordered the TF-100 test kit, but it hasn't arrived yet. I tested with Aqua-chem 6-way test strips and I entered my results into the pool calculator. So Sat. night I added the recommended amount of bleach and CYA since I didn't have any chlorine or CYA in the water (according to the test strip). Didn't do anything with the pool on Sunday. Left if covered all day long. Checked the pool this afternoon (Mon) and found something in the bottom of the pool (see pic). Is this algae? I went ahead and tested with the test strips again and here's my results:

TC-1
FC-2
pH-7.2
TA-40
CYA-20 (My best guess since the test strip color didn't exactly match anything on the bottle)

I have been running the SWG for about 4 hours a day, but with no CYA in the water I'm guessing I'm loosing my chlorine pretty fast. Or, am I not running the SWG long enough?

As you can tell I really don't know what I'm doing yet. I've already learned a ton from TFP. Looking forward to receiving my test kit so I get more accurate test results. :)

Attachments

• IMG_3459_1.jpg
    IMG_3459_1.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_3460_1.jpg
    IMG_3460_1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 142
:wave: Welcome :wave:

With a cover on the pool, you may not have lost too much of the FC due to the sun. Good idea to start getting the CYA level up though. You want to get up to the 60-80ppm range, but I would not make too many adjustments until your good kit comes in the next few days ... strips are not good.

Keep reading Pool School and asking questions as they come up and you will understand eventually.

What happens to the stuff on the pool when you brush it (or feel it)? Is it slimy or is it just dirt?

Take your TA up to recommended pool school level. TC can't be 1 if FC is 2. Use bleach to bring your FC to 4-5 until your SWG can catch up. Your CYA needs to be at 70-80 for a SWG. I don't think 4 hours a day is gonna keep you where you need to be as it heats up. Post back with the "good" test kit numbers.

cgoodwin24,

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Don't kid yourself....you know a heck of a lot about what you're soing. Your post is insightful with absolutely no wrong information or misunderstanding that so many of us (like me :oops: ) had to go through.

I would suggest to wait on your kit and then post test results. They will probably differ quite a bit from the strips and then we can help you stay on track. While you are waiting, you could put a small jug of bleach in the pool each evening just in case your SWG isn't producing enough chlorine to keep your water clear.

Thanks for the help! I vacuumed the bottom of the pool and it appears that it was just dirt (and bugs). :roll:
As you can tell I am very paranoid about getting an algae outbreak. I feel lost not having an accurate test kit so I am really looking forward to it arriving.

I had to literally laugh out loud at the vacuum though. It's the kind you attach to a water hose. I believe we will be buying a new one very soon. :)

I'll continue to try to get the CYA up while waiting for my test kit.

Don't work too hard at getting your cya up until you get your test kit... Also, cya can take up to a week to register on a test, so be sure you don't get over zealous about adding more if you don't have a really clear idea about what you have put in the pool so far. You can always add more cya, but the only way to get rid of it is to partially drain your pool. :shock:

Welcome to the boards! Don't fret too much about algae, it's a pain, but not the end of anything. If you get your water balanced well and keep your chlorine in check, you shouldn't have any problems. You'll have the hang of it in no time. :-D

Intex makes a vacuum that hooks up to the intake screen. I have the deluxe maintenance kit that comes with the over-wall skimmer and the vac hooks to it (hard to find right now). The new style they have don't have the skimmer and its hard to keep these pools clean without one, so if you get it then you need to get the skimmer seperate or see this link http://www.troublefreepool.com/useful-links-for-fellow-intex-pool-owners-t29612.html to add one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, I'll take a look at the useful Intex links. The DVD that came with our pool showed the vac that you are describing, but like I said before the actual one in the box was the waterhose kind. I was surprised by how much it picked up....of course the bottom of my pool was pretty dirty. Our pool does have the over-wall skimmer. Does the vac that hooks to that work okay?

I'll go easy on the CYA, but I know I needed some in there since we had just filled the pool.

The vac will hook to it if its the large skimmer.

Intex Deluxe Pool Maintenance Kit Model 58947E is the skimmer and vac

Intex Deluxe Maintenance Kit Model 58959E is just the vac. You unhook the skimmer and hook this one up to the intake.

You can Google these for the best price

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.