Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help treating my pool!

1. Back To Top    #1

Help treating my pool!

Hello all, I'm newish to having a pool. I had this one last summer and didn't have any problems but now I have one and the pool store here is useless. Me being lazy i never put up my pool over the winter so it had standing water in it about 3-4 in all thru the winter (yea i know bad move) and about a month ago I decided to clean it up and try to get it ready for this summer. I sprayed down the entire inside with a all purpose cleaner made for pools to get off stains etc. and i scrubbed it all really well. after filling it i shocked it and added a chlorine tablet and let my filter run all day. When i got up the next day my pump wasn't pumping anymore it sounded like it was full of air. I checked the filter and it was 50% filled at the bottom completely of this yellow spongey material. When i looked at the top of the water it was completely full of this little itty bitty white floaty stuff that wasn't even 1/4 inch long in most cases. but it only floated on the top of the pool. so i rinsed off my filter and ran it some more. the next day there was less of a floatie problem but the filter was full again. so i took a water sample down to the pool store and they ran it. My water was a little hard and needed chlorine and a ph minus. The lady there thought it could just be because my water was hard. So i came home and treated it with everything they wanted me too and now the floaties have went away a lot but they are still there and my filter can run for a week now and only be 1/10th full now. My question is if anyone knows what it could be and what i can do to take care of it. I asked today at the store and the lady thought it could be white water pool mold but from looking at pics online i can't be sure. any help will be very helpful!! I can't submit pics of my filter cause i thru it out today before i got online
    30,000 gal. Igp, gunite, Indoor pool

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Help treating my pool!

First what you did was not "shocking" the pool. Here shock is a verb and not a noun. You have to raise the FC level to the shock level for your CYA level and then hold it there until your pass the 3 tests to stop shocking. Read Shocking Your Pool and then continue to read Pool School (button at upper right of the page) if anything I said does not make sense to you.

BTW, a good test kit (recommended ones in my signature) will be required to successfully maintain your pool and avoid the pool store "advice"
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Help treating my pool!

It's not hopeless.
    Spend some time in Pool School.
    Spend some money on a test kit - it will pay for itself, no doubt about it.

And here's a couple threads I bookmarked for such occasions as this, when someone needs some inspiration

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!