Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Pump for 16x36 Grecian pool?

Pump for 16x36 Grecian pool?

I am fixing to order a 16x36 Grecian pool and the standard pump and filter it comes with is a 1hp hayward. I am looking at upgrading to a 1.5hp 2speed Hayward for $195 upgrade charge. Would that be a good fit for this size pool? To big or small? Is 2 speed worth the upgrade charge? Also the standard filter is a Hayward pro series s244t sand filter. I am really wanting a cartridge but really do not know a whole lot about them. What size would I need for this type of pool? Right at 20K gallons. Also it will be used with a SWG if that matters
    18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

Senior Member In the Industry

Re: Pump for 16x36 Grecian pool?

Hey,

Research that cartridge filter pretty carefully. Most folks that have them, love them. That said, switching between types (DE, sand, cartridge) often seems to lead to some unhappiness based on past posts onthe forum.

Carts are great filter but I don't have on so, naturally, I don't like it as well as my sand filter. Someone will be along soon who knows carts and will offer better advice.

A fully rated 1hp pump is a little too big for your pool. A full-rated 1HP 2-speed might be ideal and would save you some front money as well as some operating expense.
    Dave S.
    Site Owner
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

Thanks duraleigh ! I forgot to add that I plan on having a cozy cove with 6 spa jets and the 8ft sit in steps with 4 spa jets. Would that make a difference on your recommendation?
    18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

I am being told by some pool places that I need a 2hp 2" pump if I am going with the cozy cove. Would a 1.5hp 2 speed 1.5" not work?

That is a lot of jets, so if you plan to run them at the same time, the pump needed may be fairly large. Unfortunately, when the spa jets are not running, you would need much less of a pump. You might want to think about a separate pump for your jets or at least the two speed option. What diameter spa jets do you plan to have?

I have a sand filter on my pool and a cartridge on my hot tub. I like the sand much better...it is a pain to clean the cartridge. In my case water is cheap and readily available so replacing the backwash water on the pool is a non issue.

Quote Originally Posted by kyle11
    Also the standard filter is a Hayward pro series s244t sand filter
    That is on the small size at 3.1 sq. ft for your pool. 3.7 sq.ft or larger sand filter would be a better fit.
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

Thanks linen really helpful info. If I went with a cartridge what sqft should I be looking for?

Thanks linen really helpful info. If I went with a cartridge what sqft should I be looking for?
    For your 20000 gallon pool the tfp recommendation would be ~300 sq. ft. This would allow you to go quite long between cartridge cleanings.
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

You really do need the bigger pipe size if you want the jets to do anything. 2.5" would be even better.

Get the biggest filter you can afford and have space for! My pool is 11k gallons and I have a 325 sqft filter.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

K thanks for all your recommendations! I think I will go with 2hp 2speed 2" pump with 2 1/2 pipe going to all the spa jets an 2" to other returns. Still undecided on which filter but I now feel like I know what to look for.

What about a ranger RS3015 sand filter. Says its 30" 4.6 sqft just never head of ranger. Are they any good? also says it hole 500 pounds of sand. Also what is the best sand and should I just get locally. I seen HD had 50# bags of quickcrete filter sand for $6 a bag. Is all sand created equality?

What about a ranger RS3015 sand filter. Says its 30" 4.6 sqft just never head of ranger. Are they any good? also says it hole 500 pounds of sand.
    I have not heard of that company, but that filter size should be adequate for your pool volume (I am assuming about 24000).

Also what is the best sand and should I just get locally. I seen HD had 50# bags of quickcrete filter sand for $6 a bag. Is all sand created equality?
    That is what I am using and it works great for me. Some people think it is not as well sized as other brands...you can google the site for more discussion (google search at lower left corner of page).

Thanks linen. Here is all I could find about that filter.

http://www.cooperpool.com/products/ranger_t-series.html

To upgrade to the ranger 30" it is $195 over the 24" Hayward. Or I can go with the 30" Hayward for $295 up charge. Is a name brand filter worth the extra $100?

Is a name brand filter worth the extra $100?
    Not sure about this. Looking at the website, that cooper looks okay to me. I you were to need parts, I would guess your choices of where to buy would be limited.

I had a sand filter, seemed to be always back washing it. Changed to a big Pentair cartridge....only had to clean it once last year, when I closed the pool for the winter. Can't beat that!
    22,000 Gal, in-ground ,vinyl. Pentair Intelliflo VS, Clean&Clear 420 cartridge, Hayward NG 300K heater, Polaris, EasyTouch,IC-40, (former Baquacil - converted to SWCG)

My setup is similar to what your looking at. The pool has 2 skimmers, main drain, 4 returns, 2 step jets, 2 swim out jets. With the pump on high it moves alot of water. High speed is great for adding chems to the water or opening in the spring. The 500lb. filter runs at 22psi on high speed, 4psi on low. I run it on low pretty much all the time. Backwash once a month. If I could change anything I would of went with a 7oolb filter.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNJ
    My setup is similar to what your looking at. The pool has 2 skimmers, main drain, 4 returns, 2 step jets, 2 swim out jets. With the pump on high it moves alot of water. High speed is great for adding chems to the water or opening in the spring. The 500lb. filter runs at 22psi on high speed, 4psi on low. I run it on low pretty much all the time. Backwash once a month. If I could change anything I would of went with a 7oolb filter.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNJ
    What size hp motor and pipes do you have Dave? Sorry I was on my phone and it does not show your signature. I see your setup now. Thanks!

Decided to go with the 1.5hp tristar 2speed pump and 30" ranger sand filter. Am having 2nd thoughts about the pump though. From reading the charts and calculating my head at being around 35 when installed the 1.5 makes sense but I just hope if has enough power for the spa jets in the cozy cove swim out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How hard is it to put a blower in for the swim out spa jets after I install the pool if the 1.5hp tristar does not do what I want it to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk