Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Automatic AG vacuum

Automatic AG vacuum

Can anyone recommend a decent automatic vacuum . I don't want to spend a lot of money, but want something to pick up the dirt so I don't have to vacuum as often

Thank you

Re: Automatic AG vacuum

There are tons of them. Whether you want a suction side, pressure side or a robot. They all have their goods & bad. The "jerkys" as I call them are suction side cleaners and will be the least expensive. They work pretty well.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

I have seen the Dirt Devil D2500 Pool Cleaner and Island Palm Automatic Swimming Pool Cleaner for Above Ground Poolsfor about 90.00. I had a similar "jerky" but it loses suction. It came with the pool and no instructions so I was never sure if I was using it properly. It had no brand name on it.

I had a Dirt Devil, would not buy another one myself. I bought a Pool Rover after all the recomendations here. Got it off ebay for $220.00.
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

I have used the aqua-critter by hayward for 3 years now. I love it. Works great. Two important factors, store hose in sections. If you store it put together, it will tend to stay coiled and affects operation. Second, a sand filter to keep the very fine silt from returning to pool. I let it run for a couple of hours every weekend and it is virtually sparkling clean when done. Cost me $90 back then. I think they are $149 now.

Just bought a pool rover hybrid this spring, and tried it for the first time last Friday. It did an awesome job!
    33' round x 52" AGP 25,600 gallons
    Hayward 1.5hp motor & 19" Sand Filter
    Goldline GL-235 Solar Controller - 3 4x20 Solar Panels
    Pool Rover Hybrid Pool Cleaner
    TF-100 Test Kit

I just got a pool rover jr (thank you flyweed) and it works well for us. It picks up an amazing amount of stuff but it does seem to stir up a lot too (I think that was flyweed's issue) so there is still stuff in the bottom a few hours later. We have a lot of silt so I don't think anything is great for that. Guess it depends on the kind of dirt you need to pick up.
    After a 2+year battle with HOA, threats for removal will continue for as long as we own the pool.

24' Round Diamond Star, 54" wall height, 200sq ft sta-rite cartridge filter
    Dynamo 1hp 2 speed pump, 266k Rheem milivolt heater, hard plumb but lines not buried (but they will be in 2013)
    Pool rover jr. - our best friend!
    Tf-100 plus borate strips and Taylor k1000.
    Twin Cities, MN
    Ditched the 26" sand filter

We live on the south side of a dirt road and our pool is 25-30 ft from the road so we know dirt. We have a Hayward Aqua bug named Rosie.

I was ready to toss her based on last year's horrible performance (20 minutes and she'd stop) but this year thanks to this site she is running like a champ! Shoot last night she was trucking around the pool for 4 hours - I forgot about her! I run her every other day or every third day depending on how the pool looks. You CANNOT have an air leak - if when your vacume is running the basket section of the pump gets an air bubble you need to find it and eliminate it.

Things we fixed -
    -bought 5 more sections of hose (now she reaches the WHOLE pool)
    -bought a leaf cansiter
    -discovered the source of last years air leak and fixed it (in basket section of the pump)

Since now 90% of the junk is in the canister I have been in the pump basket maybe twice instead of every time she vacumes. Best $125 I ever spent
    Salty Times in Augusta Kansas
    15,000 gallons - 32' x 16' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame Pool
    Intex Sand Filter, Pump and SWG