Light issue

kizerman

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 19, 2011
Charlotte, NC
My pool light lens gasket failed and my light filled about 1/3 full of water and now does not work. I thought it burned the bulb out so I bought a new one and it still will not light. I guess the answer is I need a new fixture but I thought I would run it by the experts.

I am attaching a photo of the inside of the light as there seems to be some cracking around the base inside the light and I was wondering if this is the problem.

Also, how hard are these to replace? At first glance I can't see how I would detach the cord from the base of the fixture. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
DSC03564.jpg

Not sure about the failure, but I can provide info on replacement.

You do not detach the cord from the fixture. The fixtures come with a wire attached. The wire from the fixture runs to a deck box somewhere near the pool above water level. In the deck box you would disconnect the wires (after turning off the breaker :)) and attach a rope/wire and pull the broken fixture out of the pool and pulling the old wire and your rope with it. Then connect the rope to the new wire on the new fixture and pull it back through the conduit to the deck box. Make sure you leave enough slack on the new wire in the light niche so the the fixture can be pulled out of the water if you have to change a bulb later.

jblizzle said:
Not sure about the failure, but I can provide info on replacement.

You do not detach the cord from the fixture. The fixtures come with a wire attached. The wire from the fixture runs to a deck box somewhere near the pool above water level. In the deck box you would disconnect the wires (after turning off the breaker :)) and attach a rope/wire and pull the broken fixture out of the pool and pulling the old wire and your rope with it. Then connect the rope to the new wire on the new fixture and pull it back through the conduit to the deck box. Make sure you leave enough slack on the new wire in the light niche so the the fixture can be pulled out of the water if you have to change a bulb later.

I see, so I will need to drain the pool below the light fixture so I can seal the back of the light housing where the cord enters the pool?

jblizzle said:
No. The conduit between the light niche and the deck box is designed to be filled with water ... which is why the deck box must be above water level.

Ok, I see. In my niche, the cord is sealed with some type of epoxy or silicone, I assume to prevent water from entering the conduit under ground. You're saying that is not needed and I can just leave it open once I replace the fixture and let water run up the conduit?

If that is the case I will just do this with the pool filled and save the hastle of draining and refilling.

Well ... that epoxy may have been added if a leak was suspected in the conduit. Or maybe people just try to seal it up anyway.

There are epoxies/sealers that can be done underwater if you want to try to seal it back up.

Before replacing the fixture, I would let it dry out for several days, spray it with a dielectric lubricant and see it it is just tripping a GFCI just due to moisture left in it. If it doesn't trip the breaker, then you can test it using a standard light bulb. You may get lucky. It doesn't look that corroded, so I would at least give it a try.

jblizzle said:
Well ... that epoxy may have been added if a leak was suspected in the conduit. Or maybe people just try to seal it up anyway.

There are epoxies/sealers that can be done underwater if you want to try to seal it back up.

Well this light was installed 5 years ago when the pool was built so I'm assuming they just did it because the pool was not yet filled and it was an easy to perform. I'm planning on trying this with the pool full so once I break that seal, the conduit will be flooded so there is no real point in sealing it back if it is not necessary.

My junction box sits about a foot above the pool deck level and about 15' from the pool. Is that safe enough to allow water into the conduit?

Thanks for your help.

chiefwej said:
Before replacing the fixture, I would let it dry out for several days, spray it with a dielectric lubricant and see it it is just tripping a GFCI just due to moisture left in it. If it doesn't trip the breaker, then you can test it using a standard light bulb. You may get lucky. It doesn't look that corroded, so I would at least give it a try.

Electrical is not my strength, so bear with me...How would I tell if the GFI is being tripped? Is that inside the junction box?

The light should be fed either from a GFCI circuit breaker or through a GFCI outlet. Figure out where your power to the light comes from and maybe all you need to do is push a button (reset the GFCI) for the light to start working.

If it is not fed through a GFCI ... it should be to reduce the risk of electrocution.

EDIT: it is NOT in the deck box.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jblizzle said:
The light should be fed either from a GFCI circuit breaker or through a GFCI outlet. Figure out where your power to the light comes from and maybe all you need to do is push a button (reset the GFCI) for the light to start working.

If it is not fed through a GFCI ... it should be to reduce the risk of electrocution.

EDIT: it is NOT in the deck box.

Stupid me. I knew that there was a GFI outlet outside and should have put 2 and 2 together since the pool light and one recepticle are on the same breaker in my garage. The GFI outlet is on the other side of my yard at the pump and I should have realized that the light ran through it. :hammer:

Anyway, GFI was tripped and the light is now working. I'm such an idiot. Thanks to all the help once again. I was about to buy a $175 fixture to fix a problem that was solved with the push of a button. The good news is that I now know how to replace the fixture once it does finally go.

This shamed me right into becoming a lifetime supporter. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.