Need a little direction

mindy1978

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 17, 2011
We are opening our in ground pool this week. Last year I found this board when converting from baquacil to the BBB method so I remember bringing the chlorine up to about 15 when shocking. Do I still need to do that when opening the pool?

When I tested the stabilizer, there was none so I am currently adding that via a sock in the skimmer. I haven't added any bleach as of yet.

PH 7.2
FC 0
CA 0

What do I need to do next? This is my first year opening the pool using the BBB method.

Thanks so much!

Mindy

It would be nice to have a full set of test results to start with.

First, what does the water look like?

Given what level you have given, it looks like you just need CYA and FC.
How much CYA did you add (what was your target level)?
The amount of FC you have to maintain depends on the CYA level: see Chlorine CYA Chart

That chart also lists the shock level required for your given CYA level ... if your pool is green or you are not able to maintain FC and require going through the Shocking Your Pool process.

Ok, I have the full readings now.

FC = 0

PH = 7.2

ALK = 110

CYA = 30

So, do I need to shock the water and then check hourly and bring it back to shock level? This is the part I am not too sure about.

Are the PH and Alkalinity levels ok?

Thanks so much!

It's still important to know if the water is clear. If it's cloudy, you'll probably want to shock, which means your CYA level is already perfect for that right now, so you shouldn't add any more.

pH is fine, TA adjustment can wait as it will likely come down on its own when you maintain pH.

Low CH is not a problem with a vinyl pool, but high CH can cause problems. So you do need to test for that.

Water clarity or the presence of algae anywhere will determine whether you want to shock or just get the FC up to normal for your CYA. And your CYA level is not what you tested already, but what it will be when all the CYA you've added dissolves.

Only add algaecide if you want to waste money and possible add copper to your pool :)

Really all you need to maintain a clear pool is the right amount of chlorine.
You did not post a CC level?

If the pool is clear and you have <0.5ppm CC, get your FC up to the recommended range for you CYA level. See Chlorine CYA Chart. For CYA of 30ppm, you should NEVER let the FC get below 2ppm. I would shoot a little higher than 4ppm and keep it there for a few days to make sure nothing is living in the pool.

EDIT: Although the 30ppm CYA may not account for any that you have added in the last week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.