Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need a little direction

1. Back To Top    #1

Need a little direction

We are opening our in ground pool this week. Last year I found this board when converting from baquacil to the BBB method so I remember bringing the chlorine up to about 15 when shocking. Do I still need to do that when opening the pool?

When I tested the stabilizer, there was none so I am currently adding that via a sock in the skimmer. I haven't added any bleach as of yet.

PH 7.2
    FC 0
    CA 0

What do I need to do next? This is my first year opening the pool using the BBB method.

Thanks so much!

Mindy
    Inground 18K gallons - DE Filter - Vinyl Liner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need a little direction

It would be nice to have a full set of test results to start with.

First, what does the water look like?

Given what level you have given, it looks like you just need CYA and FC.
    How much CYA did you add (what was your target level)?
    The amount of FC you have to maintain depends on the CYA level: see Chlorine CYA Chart

That chart also lists the shock level required for your given CYA level ... if your pool is green or you are not able to maintain FC and require going through the Shocking Your Pool process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, I have the full readings now.

FC = 0

PH = 7.2

ALK = 110

CYA = 30

So, do I need to shock the water and then check hourly and bring it back to shock level? This is the part I am not too sure about.

Are the PH and Alkalinity levels ok?

Thanks so much!

4. Back To Top    #4

It's still important to know if the water is clear. If it's cloudy, you'll probably want to shock, which means your CYA level is already perfect for that right now, so you shouldn't add any more.

pH is fine, TA adjustment can wait as it will likely come down on its own when you maintain pH.

Low CH is not a problem with a vinyl pool, but high CH can cause problems. So you do need to test for that.

Water clarity or the presence of algae anywhere will determine whether you want to shock or just get the FC up to normal for your CYA. And your CYA level is not what you tested already, but what it will be when all the CYA you've added dissolves.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

The water is clear and I haven't seen any algae. Should I add a dose of algeacide just for maintenance

Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

Only add algaecide if you want to waste money and possible add copper to your pool

Really all you need to maintain a clear pool is the right amount of chlorine.
    You did not post a CC level?

If the pool is clear and you have <0.5ppm CC, get your FC up to the recommended range for you CYA level. See Chlorine CYA Chart. For CYA of 30ppm, you should NEVER let the FC get below 2ppm. I would shoot a little higher than 4ppm and keep it there for a few days to make sure nothing is living in the pool.

EDIT: Although the 30ppm CYA may not account for any that you have added in the last week.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!