Backwash

Unless there is some strange circumstance, there should be no reason to have to change the sand.

You can do a thorough cleaning by opening the top and running a hose gently down in the sand and allow the junk to flow out the top of the filter.

The sand was changed out 4 years ago according to the previous owner. May not do it since I am debating about switching out the filter next year. It as a Pac-Fab Super Flow PF-50. It looks like it has some years on it but if it works fine maybe I don't need to.

stew930 said:
The sand was changed out 4 years ago according to the previous owner. May not do it since I am debating about switching out the filter next year. It as a Pac-Fab Super Flow PF-50. It looks like it has some years on it but if it works fine maybe I don't need to.

No reason at all to change 4 year old sand unless there are problems.

If it is working to your satisfaction there is no reason to change it. Hard to say if a newer one would do a better job ... I kind of doubt it as there really is no "advanced technology" involved in a sand filter :)

That filter's a little small for a 25,000 gallon pool but, as said earlier, if it's working there's no hurry about changing it out. It's obsolete so it's a good thing to be looking and deciding on what you want so when it finally goes you'll be ready to replace it.

Bama Rambler said:
Why are they changing the sand?

They will need to rinse the sand which is going to use some water, but not as much as a backwash would use. I'd raise it a little bit.

Backwash hose. Using search to find a hose/pvc to use for the Backwash outlet on a Intext 14", 1.6 gph Sand Filter. Can you direct me. Thxs!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.