1. Back To Top    #1

Noob Got my test kit and first reading...Now Unsure

I got my kit today and tested my water. Here are the results I saw
    cya-36
    ph-7.2
    Fc-9
    Ch-100
    Ta-170

My water is a pretty blue but not clear, too cloudy. I can barely see the bottom in shallow end and cant see deep end. I am wondering what to do next. I am vacuuming and I know there is still some debris in the deep end but how much is hard to say. The pool sits in the sun all day long and It was a swamp a week ago but has stayed blue for several days now. I have kept bleach in it the last couple of days to keep the FC level up till I get my kit and could know for sure how high it was. Any thoughts as to what I need to do with level, etc...?
    16x32, 20k gal, IG, vinyl, hayward sand filter model S244T 24in, 1.5hp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Noob Go my test kit and first reading...Now Unsure

If you're fairly sure of your CYA test then you should shock to the level recommended in the chlorine/CYA chart. Did you run a CC test?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Noob Got my test kit and first reading...Now Unsure

What test kit do you have? Did you just estimate your CYA of 36ppm being between 30 and 40?

If that is correct, you need to use the Chlorine CYA Chart and keep your FC above the shock level of ~14ppm until you pass the 3 criteria to stop found in Shocking Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

**** didnt do the cc test. I can do that now. I did estimate the cya to be 36 as it was in between 30 and 40. Prob closet to 38 really. TF100 kit

5. Back To Top    #5

cc level was 0. So I will get my FC up to 14 and maintain it till water is clear. Do I want to vacuum in the process eventhough I cant see the bottom or wait until water is clear. I know there is a little debris in the bottom of the deep end but not much. I brushed it up earlier and was skimming it out.

6. Back To Top    #6

The more gunk you can remove from the water the better ... if you are vacuuming to the filter, then the chlorine will still have to consume it.

If you think the CYA is closer to 40ppm, then using 16ppm for FC shock level may be better ... you ideally want to keep the FC ABOVE that level at all times.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok thank you! I guess my fear was if I kept the FC level too high it would damage the liner or other parts of the pool system!?!? perhaps not?

8. Back To Top    #8

High FC can fade the liner, but you have to be WAY over the shock levels for your CYA level. I am not sure how far over, but I think it is pretty far like double or something ... a few ppm over will not be a problem.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Update: Water is looking better, still fighting FC levels lowering so I know i still have a ways to go.

Question: If we are getting rain everyday should I still be putting in bleach during the day while it is raining or wait til it finishes at night. We are getting afternoon rain storms this week. My FC keeps dropping during the day so I keep adding bleach to get it up throughout the day. Wanted to make sure I wasnt wasting bleach while it is raining.

10. Back To Top    #10

I think you are best to keep adding it throughout the day if it is needed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator