Chlorinating Pool up to 'shock' level initiially

Apr 3, 2008
In the sticky it says the following when initially chlorinating the pool.

"Add enough chlorine to bring the pool up to shock level. Wait half an hour. Then test the FC level, and add enough chlorine to bring the FC back up to shock level. Repeat this cycle: test, add chlorine, wait, as many times as you have time for, or until the FC level remains nearly at shock level after a one hour wait.
"

I went to the pool calculator and put in goal FC of 10 for shock level. Tells me to put in 96 oz of bleach. My AK is about 100, PH is 7.5 and my CYA is at best a 10. I've put in 96oz of Bleach but the FC level only gets to about 1. Am i mistaken in thinking the PoolCalc is telling me that I should be at FC=10 once I put in 96 oz of Bleach ?

My pool is really clear and not cloudy so I was thinking it wouldn't take too much bleach to see a shock level. But so far I've put in 300oz of Bleach (100oz ever 30 minutes for 1.5 hours) and the FC remains at best at a 1. Is it normal to burn through a ton of bleach in the initial process to even get to shock level (5 gallons, 10 gallons ? etc.)

When you first open the pool it is fairly common for there to be an initial very high chlorine demand even if the water is completely clear. This is particularly true when the CYA level dropped over the winter. Just how much chlorine that will be for your pool is difficult to guess but 3-10 gallons isn't at all surprising.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.