New pool owner of Intex quick set 12x30, first chemicals?

May 21, 2012
I just filled up our new intext quick set 12x30 yesterday and need to know what chemicals to start off with. I read that you should put in shock treatment how many of those little bags should I use and do I have to put anything else in there? I was going to buy the 3 inch tabs and put them in the floating device or do you think I should use plain old bleach instead?

Re: New pool owner of Intex quick set 12x30, first chemicals

I wouldn't buy one at your local superstore as they don't test fc at high enough levels to be useful. Buy the recommended ones and you'll be better able to maintain your pool. The initial expense might be twice what your superstore is, but your ability to maintain your pool will be simplified. As they say, knowledge is power.

Okay I can order one online but it might take a few days to get it. In the meantime since I just filled the pool should I put something in it so it doesn't go bad? Or will the cheapo test kit be okay for now until I get the good one.

I am trying to figure out how much is 2ppm as I am new to being a pool owner. Once I get it down, I will be good to go and thanks for everyones help! I tried to use the calculator but couldn't figure it out. I have the 12x30 intex easy set round pool so how many bottles of bleach (getting them from aldi) would 2ppm be?

Okay I tested the pool water I just put in last night. I just need help getting going here.

Results:
PH=7.8 (highest color on the scale)
Chl=<1 (water color clear)

I added one pack of the pool shock after reviewing the temporary pool guide. Is that the right thing to do? And then I just do that for the next few days?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

After re-reading the temp pool guide, it said to buy 1 pound of pool shock which I did. But what I didn't realize is that you are to split that up into four days! I put the whole bag in there on the first night...did I really mess up?!

No, not unless it really boosts your CYA level which I wouldn't worry about since it's the first fill of a new pool. I wouldn't keep adding powdered shock. I would use bleach. Your FC levels will drift downwards as your pool is exposed to sunlgiht.

According to the PoolCalculator adding 1lb of Dichlor to a 2500 gal pool would raise FC by 27, raise CYA by 24 and lower pH by 1.

You are now over 2x shock level (12ppm) and have a decent amount of stabilizer. This should buy you plenty of time until you receive your test kit.
Once you get the kit, do a full test and post the results here. Only then can we help with the next steps to balancing your water.

Meantime, I would not allow anyone two swim until FC is below 12 and definitely don't add anymore powdered "shock" product. Just one more 16oz bag would put you close to the upper limit of recommended CYA levels and the resulting super high chlorine levels could damage your pool/equipment.

jglorioso said:
After re-reading the temp pool guide, it said to buy 1 pound of pool shock which I did. But what I didn't realize is that you are to split that up into four days! I put the whole bag in there on the first night...did I really mess up?!

I will hold back on adding anymore shock to the water. I don't think we are going to get the test kit right now though. I will keep monitoring the chlorine until its at a safer level for swimming. I am secretly hoping something happens and we have to drain the pool because it is NOT level! But we will keep it going as long as we can. Thanks so much everyone, I am glad I found this forum!

Heads up...if that is the inflatable ring version, that pool is only about 1500 gallons so I would use that for your calculations...I used to have one.

FYI-The pool is pretty much uneven, so we decided to empty it and do a better job of leveling the ground this time! The good news is that I can start fresh with chemicals:)

I have a question about the first 4 days getting the water ready. Is dichlor the same as the pool shock that costs about $3 each? That is what I have been using for the past few days and haven't put anything else in the pool yet. It says calcium hypochlorite as the ingredient so I was confused by the instructions on this site if I was using the right "schock".

Also my ph is showing a higher color of pink than the scale goes up to, is that normal when I didn't even add any chemicals to it at all?

Sorry I see you used calcium hypochlorite (cal-hypo). It is not the end of the world, but you want dichlor. If you can not find dichlor, you can purchase Cyanuric acid (cya) and use that in combination with the Cal-hypo (cal hypo does add calcium as well) or beach to do your start up. The poolcalculator.com will calculate how much cya you need. CYA is cyanuric acid, also known as stabilizer or conditioner and can be bought at home centers, hardware stores, and oftern walmart.

As for your ph, if you FC level is above 10 ppm, then your ph measurement is not valid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.