Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: what exactly is this and what would it do

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    177

    what exactly is this and what would it do

    I have someone out here (not even a pool store but someone who is in love with their pool store) who just goes on and on about this stuff Ahh-SomeŽ Water Clarifier & Bio-Cleaner.
    I got the company to send me the MSDS sheet just out of curiosity but not being up on the chemisty part I'm wondering what exactly is in it and what it does. I'll attach the MSDS.


    Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Deena
    http://www.lindbrookstargazer.ca
    100,000 liter IG vinyl liner
    Rolachem Chlorine & Muratic acid Auto feeders/Pool Perfect Auto feeder
    Pentair 30" filter (Tagelus) Sand filter/Centruion switchless pump 1.5/.25 HP

  2. Back To Top    #2
    steinholder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    81

    Re: what exactly is this and what would it do

    I just googled the ingredients, it looks like it is a water softener and an algaecide.
    22'x52" AG Ultra Frame Intex - 12,500 gal (47K liter)
    Manual Liquid Chlorine - 1HP 100# Hayward sand filter
    Lots of sun, trees, pollen & wind - 50ppm Borates
    4nd season grateful TFP fan

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    177

    Re: what exactly is this and what would it do

    Quote Originally Posted by steinholder
    I just googled the ingredients, it looks like it is a water softener and an algaecide.

    Ahh, yes, I never thought to do that. Thanks.
    Deena
    http://www.lindbrookstargazer.ca
    100,000 liter IG vinyl liner
    Rolachem Chlorine & Muratic acid Auto feeders/Pool Perfect Auto feeder
    Pentair 30" filter (Tagelus) Sand filter/Centruion switchless pump 1.5/.25 HP

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Rafael, CA USA
    Posts
    12,082

    Re: what exactly is this and what would it do

    The "Sodium Sesquicarbonate" is the same as a combination of sodium carbonate (i.e. "pH Up") and sodium bicarbonate (i.e. "Alkalinity Up) so would raise both pH and TA. The "Alkyl Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride (C12-18)" is what is known as a linear quat algaecide which is a less expensive algaecide compared to Polyquat but can foam. I didn't see any clarifier in the ingredients.

    The guy probably goes on and on about this product due to the algaecide because he is likely using Trichlor pucks/tabs where the CYA buildup leads to algae growth if one doesn't use an algaecide product. Also, Trichlor lowers the pH and TA to this product seems like a miracle since it restores both (somewhat).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    177

    Re: what exactly is this and what would it do

    Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    The "Sodium Sesquicarbonate" is the same as a combination of sodium carbonate (i.e. "pH Up") and sodium bicarbonate (i.e. "Alkalinity Up) so would raise both pH and TA. The "Alkyl Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride (C12-18)" is what is known as a linear quat algaecide which is a less expensive algaecide compared to Polyquat but can foam. I didn't see any clarifier in the ingredients.

    The guy probably goes on and on about this product due to the algaecide because he is likely using Trichlor pucks/tabs where the CYA buildup leads to algae growth if one doesn't use an algaecide product. Also, Trichlor lowers the pH and TA to this product seems like a miracle since it restores both (somewhat).

    Thanks "chem geek". He does indeed use Trichlor pucks and has had algae growth. So I guess it is a miracle for him. An expensive miracle though, he goes through a ton of it.
    Deena
    http://www.lindbrookstargazer.ca
    100,000 liter IG vinyl liner
    Rolachem Chlorine & Muratic acid Auto feeders/Pool Perfect Auto feeder
    Pentair 30" filter (Tagelus) Sand filter/Centruion switchless pump 1.5/.25 HP

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Rafael, CA USA
    Posts
    12,082

    Re: what exactly is this and what would it do

    Yeah, linear quats break down from chlorine quickly. He would be much better off using Polyquat even though it is more expensive (though perhaps not more than what he is using now) since it will last longer so use less chlorine. Of course, it would be even better if he went the BBB route, but Trichlor pucks are convenient. Some people are willing to pay more for such convenience even though it means paying extra for algaecides or phosphate removers.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    177

    Re: what exactly is this and what would it do

    Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Yeah, linear quats break down from chlorine quickly. He would be much better off using Polyquat even though it is more expensive (though perhaps not more than what he is using now) since it will last longer so use less chlorine. Of course, it would be even better if he went the BBB route, but Trichlor pucks are convenient. Some people are willing to pay more for such convenience even though it means paying extra for algaecides or phosphate removers.

    I hear you on all of this....one of his biggest problems is he is also a male chauvanist. He thinks because I am female, my poor little girl brain could not possibly know anything.
    He was a little blown away this past weekend when thanks to people here, I took apart my pool pump and replaced the motor shaft seal. Now he thinks maybe my little girl brain can actually hold something so maybe I will convert him to BBB yet....lol.
    I have printed off this thread for him to read.....his comment....a great big...hmmmmmm.
    Deena
    http://www.lindbrookstargazer.ca
    100,000 liter IG vinyl liner
    Rolachem Chlorine & Muratic acid Auto feeders/Pool Perfect Auto feeder
    Pentair 30" filter (Tagelus) Sand filter/Centruion switchless pump 1.5/.25 HP

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •