Greetings all, this is my 1st new thread here at TFP!
I was recently tasked with helping the In-Laws with their pool. Having never owned a pool, but being very interested in the chemistry side of things, I stumbled across TFP by accident, and man, what a GREAT mistake that was!
Brief summary of what I was dealing with. There was a MAJOR algae problem, water was green and cloudy, couldn't see more than 6" into the water before my hand disappeared. Using BBB and the calculator all the algae is dead, but the water is still INCREDIBLY cloudy, white now, not green. The way I figure it, this is just the dead algae floating about and it needs to be extracted via the filter. I have been cleaning out the filter cartridge once or twice a day. It now has a grey sludge building up in it, before shocking the pool it was green.
The pool is a 24' Intex above ground pool with a vinyl liner and cartridge filter. I shocked the pool Friday night, it is now Monday, and the pump has been running 24/7. I have seen no significant improvement in the clarity of the water since shocking. There has been a slight improvement, but I am not sure how much of that is my mind playing tricks on me. My question is this, with the surface skimmer being the only inlet for the pump, am I getting any decent circulation? I currently have the return pointed to create a flow, I can see any debris on the surface going round and round the pool, but is there anything I can do to ensure that I am maximizing the filters effectiveness?
Also, the pH is currently low, about 6.5, I have done nothing to correct it yet. I know I need to, but with regards to the cloudy water, could this be contributing as well?