Not my pool yet

May 10, 2012
Buying a home with a pool...no one has lived at the house for a year and half...it's an estate sale. We should be closing on June 15th(about 3 weeks)...well when we had the pool inspected and pool checked everything was fine...Well 2 weeks later I sneaked into the backyard and checked out the pool...It's green...

I would like to do a bit of precare of the pool...since it looks like they are neglecting it...I can't guarantee the pump will run 24/7, just found out it's a DE filter(not sure what type, will sneak in tonight and see if I can discern what type and what the pressure is at)...Now I'm wondering should I sneak in and dump chlorine in the pool...to at least keep the algae in semi check...or just let it go and worry about it when we close...

Once there is already algae, an occasional visit is not going to be enough to clean it up and won't really make any difference in the long run. Wait until you have good access to the pool and a day when you can pay attention to it on and off throughout the day before starting to fight the algae.

DE filters do tend to clog up quickly when there is a lot of algae. It probably is worth keeping an eye on the filter pressure. The PH is also worth checking, for that matter you might as well grab a water sample and do a complete set of tests.

Order a test kit now, so you can attack the green pool properly armed.

I recommend a TF100 with the XL option, since you'll be shocking. You might as well add a speedstir, too. Nobody has posted any regret for buying one.

You're going to be nickel-and-dimed pretty bad with a new house anyway, this money spent will actually repay you.

Hey Richard, how about buying a speedstir then not having a small enough screwdriver to open the battery cover :(

Seriously though it is s a great addition to any drop based test kit, now for a couple of more suggestions.

If your there snap a few photos of the pool and the equipment pad.

While your waiting, Read Pool School, then let it soak in a little, then Read Pool School again, the link is in the top right of every page here.

Once you get a good test kit and water sample post the numbers here and we can help give you a game plan, depending on what the numbers look like, it will either be shocking the water to clear it up, or first a partial or full drain.

Ike.

Isaac-1 said:
Hey Richard, how about buying a speedstir then not having a small enough screwdriver to open the battery cover :(
Well, Ike, most big-box hardware stores sell these cheap every-bit-ever-made screwdriver sets. Many bits, one handle. I think I paid $5 for mine at Lowes during Christmas. It will have the #0 Phillips you need. And it's cheaper than buying a single #0 screwdriver!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.