Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First timer with a question about pool inspections

1. Back To Top    #1

First timer with a question about pool inspections

As I mentioned in my introduction post, I'm purchasing a new home, this one with a 18x36 inground pool. It is opened already and just from my visual observation, everyting seems to be running OK. I mean the pump works, water is swirling, the skimmer is picking up trash, and the light works. The only discrepancy I can see is the pressure gage on the Hayward sand filiter (S-244T) is discolored to the point that it's unreadable. I see that it only costs around $10 to replace.

My questions is this: Should I spend $150 to have a pool company come out and inspect it, or should I just go with the premise that it is working OK, and use that money for supplies?

My gut tells me that the pool is fine, and if the house is any indication of the owners pride, then the pool should be too. Or, will the inspection reveal things like a leak in the liner or something not nearly as obvious to the untrained? I've got a couple of days to decide and get it done.

What say ye?
    10 year old 18x32 inground, vinyl liner 1 year old, 25,000 gallon Grecian, Hayward ST244 Sand Filter, 1hp Hayward pump, Diving board, Side Steps, Koolcrete decking located in middle [s:37hekvij]earth[/s:37hekvij] Georgia.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First timer with a question about pool inspections

$150 is cheap peace of mind insurance. BUT.............if your biggest concern is a leak..........you can always do your own over night bucket test.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    $150 is cheap peace of mind insurance. BUT.............if your biggest concern is a leak..........you can always do your own over night bucket test.
    OK, I'm clueless on the bucket test.
    10 year old 18x32 inground, vinyl liner 1 year old, 25,000 gallon Grecian, Hayward ST244 Sand Filter, 1hp Hayward pump, Diving board, Side Steps, Koolcrete decking located in middle [s:37hekvij]earth[/s:37hekvij] Georgia.

4. Back To Top    #4

22'x52" AG Ultra Frame Intex - 12,500 gal (47K liter)
    Manual Liquid Chlorine - 1HP 100# Hayward sand filter
    Lots of sun, trees, pollen & wind - 50ppm Borates
    4nd season grateful TFP fan