Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low CH with a fiberglass pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Low CH with a fiberglass pool

I have a fiberglass pool and I have never had concern about testing the CH. I am doing my pool opening adjustments and the CH is about 75. The question is do you think I should increase the CH to about 150 or is it still thought the vinyl and fiberglass don't need it?
    Thanks Ric W.
    Ric W
    My Pool
    8605 gal fiberglass, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, aquabot cleaner, heat siphon heat pump, tiger river(sumatran) spa

2. Back To Top    #2

San Rafael, CA USA
    The gel coat on fiberglass may have a calcium carbonate backing (to provide strength) or be part of the laminate resin which is why some say that at least some saturation with calcium carbonate is desired. I don't think there's anything definitive on this so adding some calcium to around 150 ppm is certainly playing things safer.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"