Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Keeping inside of steps clean

1. Back To Top    #1

Keeping inside of steps clean

Hi All

Would like your opinion on something I did when putting my stairs in this weekend.

I have a 20 X 40 Rec In-Ground Vinyl. In the shallow end I have a set of drop in steps similar to these:

In the back of the steps is a hole(and the bottom), into that hole we place two buckets (With lids) filled with stones into the steps to keep them weighted down. The buckets usually get pretty gross inside by the end of the season.

SOOO here is my question...

I buried 1/2 a puck of Tri-Chlor in each bucket in the rocks, then sealed them up. (The buckets have small holes drilled in them so air can escape). I was hoping this would hold back some of the algae and maybe keep in inside of my steps a little cleaner?

Do you think this will cause and problem with Hi chlorine inside the steps, problems for my liner in that area ??

Thanks
    -Craig
    Pool: 20 X 40 Rec - 28,500 gallons;
    Type: IG with Vinyl Liner
    Filter: Hayward 46SqFt DE Filter
    Pump Size: Hayward Super-Pump 1 hp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Keeping inside of steps clean

I always add a little chlorine inside my step weights. Unless the holes are right against your liner I don't think you'll have a problem with it affecting your liner.

The pucks will definitely help the algae situation, for how long depends on how fast the pucks dissolve and how much exchange there is with the pool water. I don't think you'll even notice the rise in FC due to the pucks in the buckets. it'll disperse quickly once it's outside the bucket.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Keeping inside of steps clean

Thanks Bama

Now I have to check to make sure the weight buckets aren't hanging over the hole in the bottom of the steps at all .

I'm pretty sure I'm good, just want to double check since I didn't peek in there before I fixed the steps in place.

-Craig
    Pool: 20 X 40 Rec - 28,500 gallons;
    Type: IG with Vinyl Liner
    Filter: Hayward 46SqFt DE Filter
    Pump Size: Hayward Super-Pump 1 hp