Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding DE to sand filter??

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding DE to sand filter??

I just Added DE to my sand filter. The water was crystal clear before now it is cloudy.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding DE to sand filter??

If your filter, or main valve, is broken, and the DE went straight through into the pool it could cloud up the water for a short time. DE will settle to the bottom fairly quickly, so any cloudiness relating to the DE should go away soon.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I just opened the sand filter and moved the sand around,I thought it could be channeling. The main valve seems to work , on backwash, waste and rinse . I could see the DE go thru the return jets, it took maybe 5 minutes after I put it in the skimmer. Is there a way to see if the main valve is broke?

4. Back To Top    #4

I just Added DE to my sand filter. The water was crystal clear before now it is cloudy.

I called Hayward Tech Support. I told him what had happened and my inspection of the valve ( gasket) and condition of sand. He said nothing was wrong with the valve. He thought the DE was not filteringe the sand and returned it thru the jets. He said it was not a good idea to use DE in a sand filter and that I should vacumn it out and backwash it out of my system.

5. Back To Top    #5

If the DE got into the pool then something is significantly wrong with either the main valve or the filter, or you had the main valve set to recirculate.\

To check the main valve you need to open it up and see if the wagon wheel (plastic part that rotates inside the valve) is damaged. Checking the sand filter is a little more complex, basically open it up, check for obvious damage, and then resettle the sand bed.

Having some DE is totally fine in a sand filter. Tens of thousands of us do it all the time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Can you also use some cellulose fiber in a sand filter?
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit