Just got my first drip test kit, K-2006

May 16, 2012
First off, I have been using strip tests for two years on my pool in the past, and until I found this website, I never considered otherwise. I will also note, that until this website, i have never had a clear looking pool! Just to compare tests tonight, i tested the strip test and then my k-2006 drip test kit and WOW!, what a difference in results I got. Plus it makes you feel like a chemist :)

Strip:
FC- 0
TC-0
TA- above 240
CYA- between 0-30
pH- above 8.4

Drip Test:
FC- 1.4
TC- .8
TA- 270
CYA- 0
pH- 7.4

So the major difference to me is the exact number you can get with the drip test where the strips are completely vague and impossible to get a exact reading. Thanks for all the info and great recommendation on products to buy!

Welcome Josh! :wave:

So you probably meant FC=1.4 and CC=.8 (this one is the second "yellow cap" test where you add the 5 drops to the already tested sample), yielding a TC=2.2...

And BTW, this shows why your water has been cloudy...you need to shock out that combined chlorine! So start lugging those jugs of chlorine! Your pool will look better in no time! :party:

Aloha!

You are right, my pool was cloudy, got home this weekend and cover blew off from bad thunderstorm, filter was plugged, pool full of all kinds of tree debris, got it cleaned out and my pool was sparkling clean. I added 96 oz of bleach and 3 oz of powdered chlorine.

This mornings readings,

PH- 7.8
FC- 12.8
TC- 13.6
CC- .8
Cya- 0
Water temp- 62

Are you starting to slowly raise your CYA? This will help your chlorine be effective for longer lengths of time. Also your combined chlorine is still too high. Perhaps it can be contributed to organically from the storm, but I believe you must continue shocking. Raising your CYA to 30 will help your chlorine consumption since it slows down its breakdown by the sun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.