Sand Filter recommendation needed

Mar 21, 2009
Detroit
I bought a house a couple of years ago with an old inground pool and I have been replacing the old equipment with new equipment as I can. The old pump crapped out at the end of the season last year and I was able to get a new, bigger one for free from a family friend. The issue is the new pump is MUCH bigger and I'm sure I will need a higher flow sand filter to match to it, but I don't trust the pool store guys to steer me in the right direction so I'm hoping you guys can give me some insight.

24,000-28,000 gallon gunnite pool with a single 1.5" metal intake for the skimmers and a 1.5" metal intake pipe for the main drain that converge to a single 1.5" metal pipe going to the intake of the pump. Single 1.5" metal return pipe to the pool. The deep end skimmer(furthest from the pump) always pulled very weakly even after finding and fixing all of my skimmer line leaks. The shallow end skimmer pulled more, but barely enough to keep a vac plate and hose in place and usable.

Max-e-Glas PEAA6G-122L 2.5 Horse 1.30 SF pump. I know this is probably overkill for my pool but it was free from a family friend and is brand new. My wiring is properly sized for the electrical draw and I'm hoping the added umph will fix my weak skimmer issues. The only thing is I have no clue how much flow this will produce on my system.

I currently have a Tagelus TA-50 but I'm guessing I'd by flowing a whole lot more than 50GPH and putting out a lot more than 50PSI with the new pump.

Any recommendations for a filter? I have a million projects I want to do to fix up the house so the least expensive option would be the most preferable for me but I also want something that will work without me having to worry about launching a filter into space from too much pressure. If you think the TA-50 can handle it I'll give it a shot. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

That filter is w-a-a-a-y too small and that pump is w-a-a-a-y to big. You are gonna' suck up some electricity for the overkill size of that pump....making it's freebie status a little dubious.

Added to those issues, 1-1.5" return pipe and too small suction pipes further add to the woes of what you're cobbling together.

If you can't change the pipe size, I would suggest you seriously consider a 1hp pump (maybe 2-speed) and about a 300lb sand filter. That'll match your pool and piping pretty well.

I know it's not what you wanted to hear but don't be penny-wise and pound foolish. :lol:

PS - ANY pool pump will only produce about 35 psi max regardless of other factors.

I figured the new pump was oversized, but it was free and since my old 1 HP pump seemed a little under powered I am really hoping to use this one at least for a little while. A few extra dollars in electricity is easier to swallow than $500 for a new pump right now, but if the plumbing can't handle the flow it puts out, I'd rather get a new pump than damage my plumbing.

As for the filter the TA-50 is a 50 gallons per MINUTE filter, not hour like I put in my original post. Sorry about that but it is a 225 pound filter, I don't know if that would qualify as too small still. I assume the best thing to do is to get as big of a filter as I can or is it possible to oversize the filter?

as big of a filter as I can or is it possible to oversize the filter?
It's possible but not likely. A 140 gpm filter would be about right for that pump. Your restriction will be on the intake and outflow pipes being too small so I doubt you'll push that much water but you will help support the local electric company

I appreciate the advice. Obviously I'd rather properly size the equipment. Just quickly looking around on the net I see that the giant sized filters are a pretty penny, like $700 + 700 pounds of sand. If I were to put a Hayward S270T2 (75 GPM/ 3.7 sq ft) filter in, since that seems like about the right size for my pool, is there any way to dial down the pump until I get a new properly sized one, such as change out the impeller or something? If not, what would happen if I were to run the bigger pump on such a filter? I know you said pool pumps should only get to about 35 PSI reguardless of their size. Burning a little extra electricity is an acceptable compramise for me right now, but breaking things isn't. Do you think this big of a pump will damage my plumbing?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.