Mustard Algae

I think I found the source of my chlorine consumption. :goodjob: I pulled the light and OMG. I found a layer of algae in the niche about 1/4" thick. :shock: Vacuumed that up and scrubbed it well. I left the light loose in it so I can scrub it again tomorrow. Hope this will finish the process off. I am leaving the FC level up a couple more days to make sure. OCLT in a couple of days.

eluded said:
I think I found the source of my chlorine consumption. :goodjob: I pulled the light and OMG. I found a layer of algae in the niche about 1/4" thick. :shock: Vacuumed that up and scrubbed it well. I left the light loose in it so I can scrub it again tomorrow. Hope this will finish the process off. I am leaving the FC level up a couple more days to make sure. OCLT in a couple of days.
:goodjob: Give it an extra one of these while you're there :hammer:

eluded said:
I think I found the source of my chlorine consumption. :goodjob: I pulled the light and OMG. I found a layer of algae in the niche about 1/4" thick. :shock: Vacuumed that up and scrubbed it well. I left the light loose in it so I can scrub it again tomorrow.
This is not uncommon for yellow/mustard algae since it prefers shade and there is poor water circulation behind the light niche so it is able to protect itself against chlorine more easily. Be sure to put in any pool equipment such as poles, nets, brushes, etc. into the pool during the yellow/mustard algae shocking. It likes to hang out inside removable ladders, but also poles used regularly for cleaning. Also, be sure to wash your swimsuits in soapy water since you don't want to reintroduce the algae.

I've beem reading a lot of threads about this issue. My issue is a little different in that the fine powdery substance that fills the low spots on my pool floor is a dark green in color. I also pass the OCLT with flying colors w/ CC=0 and my pool water is sparkling clear. A spot or two returns the next day after vacuuming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everybody, I have my pool tools soaking right now. My FC level finally went up overnight with the SWG on(was losing FC even with SWG on before I found hidden stash of algae). Another good sign is that all the backswimmers and boatmen bugs that were in there yesterday are all gone. I plan on keeping the level up today and doing the OCLT tonight.

Dega, I too still get some spots on my floor, but they are brown now and I know these are just dirt/pollen. I was able to feel a spot on the steps and it was gritty not slimy. When the MA returned my FC consumption went through the roof, so yours may just be some dirt/pollen too. I have been putting DE in my sand filter and it has made a big difference. Water has never been this clear.

I really hope you've gotten to the bottom of your problem.

eluded said:
so yours may just be some dirt/pollen too. I have been putting DE in my sand filter and it has made a big difference. Water has never been this clear.

I sure hope so. I replaced my laterals and sand (although the sand only two seasons old) thinking it was just old pollen or fine dirt getting back through the filter again and again. I was wanting to try the DE once to see it it would help my pool clear up a little faster but I'm too cheap to buy a whole box lol!

If we decide to hang around the house this weekend I amy plan on shocking for a couple of days to see if it goes away.

With my CYA approaching 70, it could take a ton of bleach especially if I shock for MA.

Thanks to you I may have solved my never ending shock. I pulled my light and cleaned the bejeebers out of it. I'm gonna pull my ladder this evening and pour some bleach water in the legs.

I had 21 FC and 0 CC last night. This morning I have 25 FC and .5 CC. Guess I messed a test up. Fixing to retest to make sure it wasn't this morning's.

Bout to pull my hair out. ( and no, before you ask, my SWG was not on last night.)

EDIT: Just retested and got 24 FC and .5 CC :grrrr: :(

Don't worry about 0.5 ppm CC. And if you started with 25 ppm FC and ended up with 24 ppm FC overnight, then that is good. It seems like you may be done so if tonight shows low loss then you are finished and can let the chlorine drop back down.

I cleaned it earlier this year(about 2months ago), got a lot of junk out of it as it had never been cleaned like that before. It felt like some of the sand was clumped together at the bottom. When I would push through it with the hose a lot of dark colored water would come out. I busted through all of it as far as I could tell with only the hose (scared to break laterals). I was at it for almost 2 hours. Should I try and do it again?

I went back and reread the thread and can't figure out why you can't pass the oclt. Can you post the actual numbers you had last night and this morning and the times you tested and if you added anything after you tested and how long before you tested that you added anything.

Also has anyone been swimming in it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.