Help Troubleshooting Waterfall Not Working

UPDATE: Tried two new things today.

1) Removed pump lid and blocked intake hole in pump coming from pool. Filled 5 gallon bucket and poured it in pump while turning waterfall on. I realized two things: a) the valve in the picture controls both sides of the waterfall and b) it was sucking water because a little came out of all 3 waterfall spill areas.

2) Next I blocked the other side of the pump where the suction is and poured a bunch of food coloring into the pump and turned the hose on. Waited about 5 minutes. Nothing came out of the pool area. I then decided to jump in the pool where the two intake grates are. IMMEDIATELY the red dye came through the grates. I have no idea why jumping into the pool would cause it to be released but it did.

Ok, next step was to put the lid back on the pump and turn it on. Nothing came out of the waterfalls and the food dye was gone at that point. So, I jump back in the pool and start pounding on both of the grates. Bingo, the waterfalls start working again.

Turned everything off, started it back up, and nothing again until I hit the two grates after jumping in. Waterfalls working again.

So, there's some connection between jumping in and hitting the grates that makes the waterfall work. At least I know nothing's broken, but I do want to figure out WHY it's happening. Anyway, more food for thought for the smart people here :)

Thanks.

There's either something in the line that you jar lose by jumping in and pounding on the grate, or more likely, it just takes long enough for you to give up and jump in for the pump to get water out the waterfall. :-D

When you stop the pump does the basket stay full of water?

Bama Rambler said:
There's either something in the line that you jar lose by jumping in and pounding on the grate, or more likely, it just takes long enough for you to give up and jump in for the pump to get water out the waterfall. :-D

When you stop the pump does the basket stay full of water?

LOL....The first time I stopped it and tried to restart it (about 30 second in between), it didn't fill up. I just ran it for about 10 minutes and turned it off and this time the water stayed in the pump basket. I'm thinking about removing the grates and taking a peek, just gotta figure out who to do it since I don't have any scuba gear!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.