well water fill

Apr 7, 2012
hello again, so we are slowly approach the time to fill the new pool. The PB has said that we should not use the well water for the initial fill. He said that the minerals in the water will stain or discolor the Florida Gem finish. Does this sound right to yall? I am looking at $1,000 to bring water in, and would really like to cut that cost. Any wisdom would be appreciated.

It depends on the well water, if your well is high in minerals it might. I would suggest testing your well water then deciding, it can vary greatly from well to well. I have no metals and low hardness in my well water, but know someone less than half a mile away with a similar depth well that has serious metal problems and considerably higher hardness in their water.

If you do have mineral content (sounds like the PB has had some experience) you will regret that cost savings, Dealing with iron stains, and high calcium water will be a pain for the rest of your pool's life. It won't come out, despite what you may read somewhere.

I would say you have a pretty smart PB. Test your water to confirm what he's thinking.

Isaac-1 said:
It depends on the well water, if your well is high in minerals it might. I would suggest testing your well water then deciding, it can vary greatly from well to well. I have no metals and low hardness in my well water, but know someone less than half a mile away with a similar depth well that has serious metal problems and considerably higher hardness in their water.
That's the truth. You say less than half a mile away. Us and the house right next to us drink the water right out of the ground. No filters, softener, or anything, just a pressure tank. The house right across the road and every other house on the road, their water is this color: :grrrr:

Im always worried about killing my well pump. I get nervous even putting the hose in the pool for an hour to top the thing off!! I am replacing the liner at the end of this season and am planning on using the creek that is about 30 ft behind the pool to refill it. Dont you guys worry about your well pumps?

we fill at least 6,000 gallons of water a day around here in the dry season. The pump is fine I just have to keep an eye on the level of water in the well. I can pump 2,500 gallons in about 1.5 hours, then I have to let the well recover.

LisaM I would be more worried about the creek water than the well water, but it would probably be a lot faster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have a lot of people who's wells are running dry right now because we had no snow this winter so when I replace my liner in the spring I just cant risk using the well. If the well ran dry it would cost me 10k++ and that I cant afford. The creek water is actually clear water. I always use it for top offs in the spring. It will probably be a bit slow depending on how many pumps I can get running out there but I dont want to pay 2k to truck the water in... If I could just save my water somehow!!!!

As far as the well pump, I just had a well dug (new home) The chlorinated the well to run some test and accidentally poured in too much, the water had to run clean before the test could be taken. So they ran it solid all day (about 9 hours) and did this for 3 straight days. They told me short starts and stops hurt well pumps, not long flows. I called a separate driller to get their opinion, they stated the same thing. THey said as long as the well doesnt run dry, no worries at all about the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.