Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: well water fill

1. Back To Top    #1

well water fill

hello again, so we are slowly approach the time to fill the new pool. The PB has said that we should not use the well water for the initial fill. He said that the minerals in the water will stain or discolor the Florida Gem finish. Does this sound right to yall? I am looking at $1,000 to bring water in, and would really like to cut that cost. Any wisdom would be appreciated.
    60K gallon plaster, dual CircuPool RJ45 SWCGs, dual Hayward 2hp Superpumps, 36" Hayward Sand Filter
    http://www.themustardseedmission.org
    La Quinta BethEl, missions house
    Los Cedros, Nicaragua

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: well water fill

It depends on the well water, if your well is high in minerals it might. I would suggest testing your well water then deciding, it can vary greatly from well to well. I have no metals and low hardness in my well water, but know someone less than half a mile away with a similar depth well that has serious metal problems and considerably higher hardness in their water.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

If you do have mineral content (sounds like the PB has had some experience) you will regret that cost savings, Dealing with iron stains, and high calcium water will be a pain for the rest of your pool's life. It won't come out, despite what you may read somewhere.

I would say you have a pretty smart PB. Test your water to confirm what he's thinking.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks, I do know our water is very hard. At 60,000 gallons I am assuming that keeping the pool topped off with the well should be fine, giving the system time to bring the water in line.
    60K gallon plaster, dual CircuPool RJ45 SWCGs, dual Hayward 2hp Superpumps, 36" Hayward Sand Filter
    Los Cedros, Nicaragua

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Do you have a whole house water softener for refills? Depending on the outcome of test results, that might be better.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

NW PA, halfway between Pittsburgh and Erie in the PA snowbelt

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1
    It depends on the well water, if your well is high in minerals it might. I would suggest testing your well water then deciding, it can vary greatly from well to well. I have no metals and low hardness in my well water, but know someone less than half a mile away with a similar depth well that has serious metal problems and considerably higher hardness in their water.
    That's the truth. You say less than half a mile away. Us and the house right next to us drink the water right out of the ground. No filters, softener, or anything, just a pressure tank. The house right across the road and every other house on the road, their water is this color:
    Mike

22' round Intex UltraFrame pool, Intex 633T 2500gph paper cartridge filter/pump
    with broken Intex SWG, using bleach this year
    TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Im always worried about killing my well pump. I get nervous even putting the hose in the pool for an hour to top the thing off!! I am replacing the liner at the end of this season and am planning on using the creek that is about 30 ft behind the pool to refill it. Dont you guys worry about your well pumps?
    Cleveland, Ohio
    IG 36,000 gallons. Vinyl Liner, Hayward ProGrid 3620 DE Filter, Hayward Super Pump, Hayward Gas Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Filled my 33,000 gal pool in 21 hrs, running three hoses. I wasn't worried about the pump, maybe I should have been, Its still fine at this time 1 year later.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

9. Back To Top    #9

No, but my well is a bit oversized since it originally also supplied drinking water for cattle, it is also an airlift style pump as silting is a problem in my area with jet pumps.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

10. Back To Top    #10

we fill at least 6,000 gallons of water a day around here in the dry season. The pump is fine I just have to keep an eye on the level of water in the well. I can pump 2,500 gallons in about 1.5 hours, then I have to let the well recover.

LisaM I would be more worried about the creek water than the well water, but it would probably be a lot faster.
    Los Cedros, Nicaragua

11. Back To Top    #11

We have a lot of people who's wells are running dry right now because we had no snow this winter so when I replace my liner in the spring I just cant risk using the well. If the well ran dry it would cost me 10k++ and that I cant afford. The creek water is actually clear water. I always use it for top offs in the spring. It will probably be a bit slow depending on how many pumps I can get running out there but I dont want to pay 2k to truck the water in... If I could just save my water somehow!!!!
    Cleveland, Ohio
    IG 36,000 gallons. Vinyl Liner, Hayward ProGrid 3620 DE Filter, Hayward Super Pump, Hayward Gas Heater

12. Back To Top    #12

As far as the well pump, I just had a well dug (new home) The chlorinated the well to run some test and accidentally poured in too much, the water had to run clean before the test could be taken. So they ran it solid all day (about 9 hours) and did this for 3 straight days. They told me short starts and stops hurt well pumps, not long flows. I called a separate driller to get their opinion, they stated the same thing. THey said as long as the well doesnt run dry, no worries at all about the pump.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

13. Back To Top    #13

I have heard that but it just cost me 2k last year to replace my well pump so I'm very paranoid. lol. I treat it very kindly now.
    Cleveland, Ohio