So yesterday I did my monthly full test:

PH 8.0
FC: 5
TC: 5
CC: 0
CYA: 30
TA: 70
CH: 200

I added a couple of cups (2 or 3, I didn't measure, just glugged it out of the bottle) of muriatic acid. Tested again today and got:

PH: 7.4
TA: 30 :shock:

So, now I need to raise my TA, right? Isn't baking soda going to just raise my PH too, then I'll add acid to lower PH and destroy my TA and end up in the same spot? I have soda ash too, if that is better.....Help!!

First, retest TA wiping the dropper between drops. If still low, then:

Use baking soda and get your TA up to recommended levels. It will raise pH, but only slightly. You can use MA to lower the pH again - if needed.

Use the PoolCalculator.com to determine doses.

What are you using to chlorinate your water? I use to worry about "lower range" alk but found that it would always sit there no matter what, I compensated by increasing my calcium hardness a bit to keep CSI near 0. Don't forget to use the pool calculator to get accurate dosage, and also make sure to measure the amounts you put in rather than guessing so you don't need to add addition chemicals. Good luck.

You won't need to wipe the dropper tip. That tip is for a VERY new kit and when the TA measures UNUSUALLY high. Yours is, of course, too low.

As BF says, Baking soda will bring your TA up where it belongs and I doubt you will even be able to measure the SLIGHT change in pH.

OK, I'm a dope, LOL. As I was re-doing the TA test, I realized when I got that 30 reading, I'd only filled the tube up to 10ml, like I was doing a CL test. It's fine....back to 70. I'm so glad I didn't dump a bunch of stuff in the pool before posting :) Thanks butterfly!!!

danivdp said:
OK, I'm a dope, LOL. As I was re-doing the TA test, I realized when I got that 30 reading, I'd only filled the tube up to 10ml, like I was doing a CL test. It's fine....back to 70. I'm so glad I didn't dump a bunch of stuff in the pool before posting :) Thanks butterfly!!!
Don't ask me why I KNOW you should always step back and retest FIRST :shock: :mrgreen:

You are NOT the only one to make that little mistake :lol: :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.