Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't find borax

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't find borax

I live in a small town with a walmart and local grocery store. Neither sell 20 team mule borax. We have a local hardware store that I am going to check but doubt the will have it. Is there any substitute I can use to keep from having to buy it online?
    28K gal, vinyl, Pentair IntelliFlo VF High Performance Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't find borax

Actually there is a chance the hardware store will carry it, the Ace down the road does now that I asked them to order it, feel free to ask them if they can order it for you.
    69,000 Gal gunite indoor IG pool.
    5 HP Emerson - Pentair Triton II Commercial TR140c Sand Filter x2
    5,000 Gal gunite outdoor IG hot tub
    2 HP Sta-Rite - Pentair Triton II Commercial TR140c Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

You can use boric acid instead, which is easy to find on the Internet. It is slightly more expensive, but also easier to work with.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Can't find borax

I live in a small town with a walmart and local grocery store. Neither sell 20 team mule borax. We have a local hardware store that I am going to check but doubt the will have it. Is there any substitute I can use to keep from having to buy it online?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by wkuengineer
    I would look again..Walmart should have it...They have changed the packaging & have moved the product over where the diswasher stuff is at.At my local walmart.It is hard see it now since they have a new package.Like I said look in the dish detergent section.Walmart use to keep it on the same shelf with the laundry detergent.Prob be on the otherside of the isle.
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

check my post from other.Also don't rely on Walmart help.They are going to say we don't carry it.To lazy to look."IF you don't see it we don't carry it"lol
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Our Wal-Mart carries it, but they only get a few boxes at a time and are usually sold out when we go after it.

We did manage to buy 3 boxes once, lol.
    Samantha

In the process of building for a 22' Intex Ultra Frame, (completion date up in the air at this point).
    We could not beat our backyard into submission so we "Buried It".

8. Back To Top    #8

You can go to walmart.com and see if your store carries it, and even order it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by kplaster
    I would look again..Walmart should have it...They have changed the packaging & have moved the product over where the diswasher stuff is at.At my local walmart.It is hard see it now since they have a new package.Like I said look in the dish detergent section.Walmart use to keep it on the same shelf with the laundry detergent.Prob be on the otherside of the isle.
    Thanks for the advice. Found on box by the dishwasher stuff at my local grocery store. Going to check walmart today.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by kplaster
    Thanks for the advice. Found on box by the dishwasher stuff at my local grocery store. Going to check walmart today.
    Good deal..I had the same problem.Was looking all over for it & they had moved to the other side with the dish detergent.

11. Back To Top    #11

Just so everyone knows, I just checked the Wal-mart website and they do list Borax, however they only show it as available in the store, so not able to order online!

That bites.

I think the next time we go to the store I will ask if they can order some just for me and hold it until we come after it...crossing fingers.
    Samantha

In the process of building for a 22' Intex Ultra Frame, (completion date up in the air at this point).
    We could not beat our backyard into submission so we "Buried It".

12. Back To Top    #12

I bought 3 boxes yesterday at Target for like $3-4 per box.
    20 X 40 Vinyl IG 28K gallons, Heat Siphon Z700HP, Hayward 4820 DE, Hayward SP3400VSP, Jandy aquapure 1400, TFTest Kit, Pool School, Pool Calculator

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

I find 20 Mule Team Borax, at my grocery store, hardware stor, WalMart, Target and most other places I look. Maybe it's because we have such hard water here, but in Tucson every place carries it.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej
    I find 20 Mule Team Borax, at my grocery store, hardware stor, WalMart, Target and most other places I look. Maybe it's because we have such hard water here, but in Tucson every place carries it.
    I think the problem was it was in the wrong place..It was hiding.lol

15. Back To Top    #15

Found at my Walmart now. It was hiding in the dish detergen section! They carry quite a bit.

16. Back To Top    #16

Found at my Walmart now. It was hiding in the dish detergen section! They carry quite a bit.
    Good Deal..I just knew Wally World would have it..They just love to mess with our mind's..lol

17. Back To Top    #17

Silly folks, they think it's a laundry product. Don't they know it's for pools??
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit