Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Painting a ladder?

1. Back To Top    #1

Painting a ladder?

I have been reading everything I can here for a while, and am ready to get on track. Here is what I have:

Intex 15'x48" AG
    Intex 637R Filter Pump(for now - plan to get a sand filter by end of season)
    Intex SWG CS8110

I amd a second season pool owner who left the pool neglected over the winter without closing it, chlorine, pumping, etc. Mild winter in Central Texas - water looked terrible, so I drained it. It is now dry, with some dried sediment here and there on the bottom. If I had read everything before, I would have known to close the pool, left the water in it and done things quite differently. It is empty now, and I want to start getting water in it ASAP to protect the pool, as well as get it on track.

I left the ladder in the pool, which now has some light surface rust(integrity of ladder is fine as far as I can see/feel). I want to paint it to protect the metal for the future before adding water. I assume getting a can of spray paint, rust-inhibiting or waterproof with a cardboard shield behind to catch overspray, would be the way to go. Seeing as where assumptions can get you(me), I would like to ask the experts.

I will certainly have many more questions, but this is the first one, so I can get water in the pool!

Thanks in advance!
    16x32 in-ground vinyl-lined pool
    Hayward 1.5 hp 2 speed pump
    Hayward 24" Pro-Series High rate sand filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair multi-color LED light.
    TF-100 Test Kit (the best test kit EVER!!!! If you don't have one, get one NOW!)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Painting a ladder?

I'm no painting expert, but folks will need to know what coating is on ladder. Powder coated aluminum, chrome on steel, etc. A picture would really help. Welcome to the forum!
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

3. Back To Top    #3

I am not where I can take a pic of it right now, but it is the standard ladder that comes with the Intex pool. I believe that it is just painted tube steel(?). Thanks for the welcome and the advice!
    16x32 in-ground vinyl-lined pool
    Hayward 1.5 hp 2 speed pump
    Hayward 24" Pro-Series High rate sand filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair multi-color LED light.
    TF-100 Test Kit (the best test kit EVER!!!! If you don't have one, get one NOW!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Did we ever decide what was a good paint for this? I have a little rust on mine too and would like to fix it.

Thanks
    Billie

Intex AG 18X48 round easy set 5500 gal, Hayward Micro Star-Clear Cartridge Filter, Haywood PowerFlo LX 40gpm