New pool owner

May 9, 2012
Elgin/Ft Sill, OK
Just purchased a house with an IG vinyl pool. Getting a handle on water chemistry with BBB program but not sure how to do filter maintenance. When we moved in a week ago the filter system was running 22 psi but today it was at 29 psi. I think this indicates a need to backflush the sand filter but not real comfortable doing this the first time. Also not sure when the filter medium was last changed, I know the pool was left open this past winter. I am more of a visual learner and although I have read the procedure for backflushing just nervous about not setting something correctly and messing up majorily. Thanks for any help. Steve.

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum :wave:

Do you have the manual for the filter?

The most important thing, IMHO, is to ALWAYS turn the pump OFF before you move the filter valve. :wink:

Example:

First, I always drop a hose in the pool and start adding water because backwashing removes water from the pool.

Turn off pump and move spider valve to 'Backwash'. Turn pump ON.

After water in site glass runs clear, (usually 3 or 4 minutes) turn pump OFF.

Move spider valve to 'Rinse'. Turn pump ON.

Run for about 30 seconds and turn pump OFF.

Move spider valve to 'Filter'. Turn pump ON.

Done. Notice your psi reading. This is your 'clean filter psi'. Once the psi rises about 25% over the clean psi, time to clean filter again.

Now you prob need to add some more water to the pool.

Wait, I might have missed something. Read this first! Here's the article Waste wrote in Pool School: pool-school/cleaning%20pool%20filters

OK. Got all the numbers right I think except for TA. Everything I read says to lower my pH to 7.0-7.2 and then aerate to rasise pH back to desired level. Not sure how to accomplish the aeration process so any input would be helpful.

Would building an attachment that goes on the return line and then elevates out of the water like a sprinkler work?

Here are the numbers for the pool; these came from the local pool store and jibed pretty closely to my first try with the TF-100.

FC: 3
TAC: 3
pH: 7.6
TA: 120
CYA: 40
CH: 225
TDS: 450

Thanks for all the help. Really liking the site.

Steve

oatmans said:
OK. Got all the numbers right I think except for TA. Everything I read says to lower my pH to 7.0-7.2 and then aerate to rasise pH back to desired level. Not sure how to accomplish the aeration process so any input would be helpful.

Would building an attachment that goes on the return line and then elevates out of the water like a sprinkler work?
Yes. There are links to some threads that have pictures of just such things in this article: pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.