Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner

Just purchased a house with an IG vinyl pool. Getting a handle on water chemistry with BBB program but not sure how to do filter maintenance. When we moved in a week ago the filter system was running 22 psi but today it was at 29 psi. I think this indicates a need to backflush the sand filter but not real comfortable doing this the first time. Also not sure when the filter medium was last changed, I know the pool was left open this past winter. I am more of a visual learner and although I have read the procedure for backflushing just nervous about not setting something correctly and messing up majorily. Thanks for any help. Steve.
    16 x 32 vinyl IG pool approx. 24,000 gallons (8.5ft diving deep end & 4ft deep shallow end)
    1HP pump with flow rate of approx. 82 GPM; Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter and Hayward H250 series heater
    TF100 Test kit

Hot Springs Portable Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner

pool-school/cleaning%20pool%20filters
    Straight outta pool school for ya'!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum

Do you have the manual for the filter?

The most important thing, IMHO, is to ALWAYS turn the pump OFF before you move the filter valve.

Example:

First, I always drop a hose in the pool and start adding water because backwashing removes water from the pool.

Turn off pump and move spider valve to 'Backwash'. Turn pump ON.

After water in site glass runs clear, (usually 3 or 4 minutes) turn pump OFF.

Move spider valve to 'Rinse'. Turn pump ON.

Run for about 30 seconds and turn pump OFF.

Move spider valve to 'Filter'. Turn pump ON.

Done. Notice your psi reading. This is your 'clean filter psi'. Once the psi rises about 25% over the clean psi, time to clean filter again.

Now you prob need to add some more water to the pool.

Wait, I might have missed something. Read this first! Here's the article Waste wrote in Pool School: pool-school/cleaning%20pool%20filters
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

There are videos on youtube showing backflushing. Watch a few.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

OK. Got all the numbers right I think except for TA. Everything I read says to lower my pH to 7.0-7.2 and then aerate to rasise pH back to desired level. Not sure how to accomplish the aeration process so any input would be helpful.

Would building an attachment that goes on the return line and then elevates out of the water like a sprinkler work?

Here are the numbers for the pool; these came from the local pool store and jibed pretty closely to my first try with the TF-100.

FC: 3
    TAC: 3
    pH: 7.6
    TA: 120
    CYA: 40
    CH: 225
    TDS: 450

Thanks for all the help. Really liking the site.

Steve
    16 x 32 vinyl IG pool approx. 24,000 gallons (8.5ft diving deep end & 4ft deep shallow end)
    1HP pump with flow rate of approx. 82 GPM; Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter and Hayward H250 series heater
    TF100 Test kit

Hot Springs Portable Spa

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by oatmans
    OK. Got all the numbers right I think except for TA. Everything I read says to lower my pH to 7.0-7.2 and then aerate to rasise pH back to desired level. Not sure how to accomplish the aeration process so any input would be helpful.

Would building an attachment that goes on the return line and then elevates out of the water like a sprinkler work?
    Yes. There are links to some threads that have pictures of just such things in this article: pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!