Argh! Can't Close Pump Drain Hole, Any Fix? or Must Buy New?

dandelions

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 14, 2010
Northern Virginia
So, within a few minutes, we've gone from moving smoothly through a first solo pool opening (neighbor helped last year) to an unsealable hole at the bottom of our pump that we've caused and can't find a way to fix. Help! - any ideas what to do?

Here's what happened: As part of opening yesterday, I was re-installing a Vac-less safety valve in the rightmost of our pump's drainage holes where the valve is designed to go and where it has been the past 2 seasons (marked #15 in the diagram on the link). We have what looks to be a fairly ancient bronze Anthony/Starite pump that is probably this model: http://www.paspdirect.com/anthonysylvan/product.html?id=933 I was screwing it in with my arthritic hands so I know I wasn't using that much pressure, and it just snapped off, leaving the plastic male stem lodged in the female metal pump threaded outlet. I tried to use various tools (screwdriver, pliers) to wedge into the stem and turn it out, but it would not budge. Then tried to crack it apart, no luck, just shavings came off. Of course, it was in an incredibly inaccessible spot on our pool pad! Tried heating the plastic with a heat gun. Finally just gently chipped it out with a small screwdriver. Apparently not gently enough as I must have messed up the threads - neither I nor my husband can get the original sealing nut for that drainage hole (which we found!) to screw back in!

Is there any way to fix these threads or otherwise find a way to seal this pump drainage hole? It obviously doesn't make sense to pay $635 for this part (Volute & Trap body) when we could buy a new pump for the same/less, but what a ridiculous reason to have to do so! Should we just figure we were going to have to soon anyway given how old that pump is (guessing it's original to the pool which is at least 20 yrs old). The motor it's attached to is obviously newer, but likely still 8-10 years old.

Advice as our open green pool just sits there glaring at us???

Re: Argh! Can't Close Pump Drain Hole, Any Fix? or Must Buy

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you think Loctite Marine Epoxy would work (that's all they seem to have at Home Depot) or would I have to special order something? It's all dry as we were just about to start up the system. Would only worry about it's ability to cover a 1/4" nut hole...

But hey, $5 on epoxy vs $500+ on a new pump, and with a green pool waiting to be filtered, I'm willing to try a lot of things just about now...

You should be able to buy a tap for 1/4NPT at home depot or similar store. It looks like a bolt, but what is does is cut the threads. If you carefully thread the tap in the existing threads, it should clean things up so that you can get the plug back in there. They will also have 1/4 NPT plugs at home depot, if you need a new one.

a36e2e00-2d0f-4625-8e53-25ab990b1187_300.jpg

Thank you very much - and the picture is perfect! I am off to Home Depot now to purchase a tap, pic in hand. I'm embarassed that as the child of hardware store owners (many years ago of course) I've never heard of this, but I'm happy to learn something new today! I knew this was the right place to come for help!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.