May 18, 2012
North Of Dallas, Tx
Ray here, this is my 1st time with a above ground pool.
It's a Proseries 18ftx48"....
It was a freebie. Guy's wife wanted a new pool. So I was in right place at right time......
Friend gave me a pump/filter also! I've started out trying to level the ground as best I can. I'm in N Tx so digging is fun...
I've encountered some tree roots, Pulled em up best I could then going to cut them as far down as I can...
Plan for now is to put some black plastic down, then get some sand to finish leveling. Going to get some pavers from Lowes or Home depot for legs. My only problem right now is finding the leg caps for it. Previous owner didn't give me all of them. Is it possible to setup without the caps ? I've called maker and they are out right now.. I'm hoping to have the dirt leveled out today....But, my want to isn't wanting to go dig.... :lol:
Any suggestions on getting the ground leveled out?

Having problems locating leg caps..... Manufacturer says end of month for them to get more.
Do I HAVE to have leg caps? I am putting pavers under the legs.. Just wondering if I could do something different.
Would be nice to be able to setup over the 3 day weekend......

I've dug a little over half way. Didn't have a long board- so I used the longest straight one I could find. Until today.
I got a nice 2x6x10. Put a 24"level in the middle, and a line level on each end. I did pretty good with the short board....
Going to have to go back and make it wider.... DOH!!!!!!! I'm barely at 18 ft round-ish LOL
What is the best way to deal with roots? so far I've pulled them up.... Yeah, I'm hard headed like a bull in a China Closet. I'd post pics but haven't taken any yet..... Well that and my yard ain't no where as nice as your guys...........

TXMom said:
Hello from a fellow North Texan!
I use pavers only. I gave up on replacing cracked leg caps. The goal is to have something preventing the poles from sinking into the ground.

I have a Intex style pool- the legs will move ok I was thinking about using something like thin plywood between the legs and pavers..... Or should I just not worry about it?

Hello! How's your project coming along? Leveling is the worst part and tree roots can be a pain in the you know where. Ax them all out as deep as you can or pull them up like you've been doing if they are smaller. I suggest filling in where they were at and tamp it down really well before addin your sand. Otherwise once the weight of the water gets in the pool you may end up with ruts where the roots used to be and you don't want that after all your hard work leveling out the location. The leg caps well what can I say. Umm they are cheap plastic and usually some break which is why he probably didn't give you all of them. This is year 2 for ours and yesterday I noticed that 2 of the leg caps have broken; basiclly even tho the legs all rest on pavers the metal leg still pushed thru the plastic cap like a cookie cutter and is now touching the paver. So don't be surprised if some of yours send up breaking and doing the same. Oh and if you go around the bottom of the pool with ratcheting tie down straps and put tension on them once the pool is about half full then the legs won't move around so much and splay out every which direction. Plus you can re adjust the tension
if need be via the ratchets.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, for the tips on the ratchet. Being as I'm 47- the motor just doesn't go as good as it used to... LOL
So the digging is slow. Had lots of offers for help- NONE have shown yet..... :lol: I'm sure once the water is in I'll have more than enough help using it....... the humidity today is killer so I'm having to take breaks while working.
I'll try and get a pic or two today...

What is the best away to place the pavers? Burried I assume

Not sure if this will work or not but here are some pics
IMAG0027.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

No wise cracks about needing to mow!!!!!!!!! :hammer:

Seems like you are going about it the right way using the long board and level. Once you get the area leveled assemble the top frame making sure the diameter is the same all around and use that as your guide to place the pavers. Yes you want to recess them so the top is flush with the leveled ground.

Be sure you get some nut-grass killer and treat the dirt under the pool before the plastic or sand goes down. Since you have a very "natural" looking yard you are likely to have nut grass and other invasive weeds that could poke up through the bottom of the pool if the ground is not treated.

nutgrass killer? ok I was wondering if the black plastic would be enough to kill anything or not.

How much sand do I need? I've got 5 bags of play sand so far, I know I need more, just how much I don't know. Should I cover pavers with sand also or leave them exposed? I'll be gathering more sand and stuff today to work on tomorrow...

zea3 said:
Be sure you get some nut-grass killer and treat the dirt under the pool before the plastic or sand goes down. Since you have a very "natural" looking yard you are likely to have nut grass and other invasive weeds that could poke up through the bottom of the pool if the ground is not treated.

Once pool is up, I'm planning on tilling a area around pool and planting grass. Making a "real" yard..... :lol:

There are certain weeds like nut-grass that can grow through anything. A layer of plastic won't stop it! You want to make sure the dirt is firm and level before adding any sand. You only want enough sand to improve the feel of the floor, no more than 1 inch and do not cover the pavers with sand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.