Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Curious Question About The LQ

1. Back To Top    #1

Curious Question About The LQ

So how does this thing work? I have it installed and running, but the yellow chlorine bed lays on the bottom and the output is up near the top. I know bleach is heavier than water, so how does the LQ draw the chlorine up to dispense it?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Curious Question About The LQ

Some of the chlorine diffuses across the boundary and mixes with the pool water in the upper level. That happens at a slow controlled rate, which makes the whole thing work.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Curious Question About The LQ

I also have the lq and mine does the same thing, like Jason said that's how it's supposed to work.
    Chlorine stays at the bottom
    Slowly mixing with the water then gets sucked into the pool.
    So your lq is working exactly as its supposed to.
    Only thing to watch for during initial installation is the direction of flow.
    When i setup mine I accidentally installed the flow meter backwards and nothing would flow lol!
    18' x 33' Aqua leader AGP (~19k gal) w/hayward swimpro voyager cartridge filter and 2hp hayward pump.
    8 Gal LQ, hayward heater.