new t-15 cell won't recalibrate

I keep getting Hi salt readings on my SWG so it's not producing any chlorine. We've drained almost 1/3 or the pool, refilled and tried still no luck. SWG says salt is 4200. Strips and pool store say around 3200. I tried the steps to recalibrate but after I push the diagnostic button 5 times and the negative number starts to go down it stops and then quickly drops to zero because the high salt light comes on. Is there a trick to get it to recalibrate? We had a T-5 cell but when we replaced were told we needed to use the T-15. It's brand new put it in last week and hasn't worked properly since. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

The chances are excellent that your salt level really is too high and you simply need to replace more water. It is very common for the old cell to read a lower than actual salt level for some time before it fails completely, leading you to add too much salt. When you get a new cell it reads the salt level correctly and suddenly shows the high salt level. The only alternative at that point is to replace water to get the salt level down.

It is very common for salt test results to be significantly wrong. The goal here isn't to hit some specific absolute salt level, the real goal is to keep the SWG happy. It wants less salt, so that is what you need to give it.

5. "High Salt" LED illuminated
Be sure that the correct model Turbo Cell has been selected (page 7).

To Set Turbo Cell Type
Before operation, the Aqua Rite must be configured for the chlorinator cell that will be used. Refer to the following information and steps below to set the Turbo cell type.
"t-3" = T-CELL-3, GLX-CELL-3-W
"t-5" = GLX-CELL-5, GLX-CELL-5-W
"t-9 = T-CELL-9, GLX-CELL-9-W
"t-15" = T-CELL-15, GLX-CELL-15-W
1. Slide the Main Switch to the "Auto" position.
2. Push the Diagnostic button repeatedly until "t-xx" appears on the display ("t-15" is the factory default). If the desired cell type is displayed skip to step 4.
3. To change to a different cell type, slide the Main Switch from "Auto" to "Super Chlorinate" and back to "Auto". Repeat this process until the desired cell type is displayed.
4. Push the Diagnostic button to exit.
http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/Manual345.pdf

they still make the T5 or GLX-CELL-5-W --it is the same one used for the Aquatrol units... Do some searching on google --they have them all over.

What software version is the Aqua rite unit-- I know some of the older versions of firmware--you could not change the Cell type.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.