What is the most cost effective way to raise CYA?

May 20, 2012
Greetings!

What is the most cost effective way to raise CYA? I've read somewhere to put calcuim chloride in a sock in the skimmer but can't find the article anymore on Google so not 100% that is what it said. Secondly, if this is true, where can buy this at in bulk. My CYA is 15 so need to add alot.

Second question, is it ok to run SWG with CYA at this level?

Thank you,
Mike

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

Simply, the most effective way to buy CYA is to purchase it by itself. Calcium chloride contains no CYA.

It's fine to run your SWG but you are sucking up a lot of chlorine with your CYA that low. You will have to dial SWG back when you put in CYA.

geturdone said:
Thanks everyone for posting so far. I read somewhere where the stuff de-icer is made out of is good way to increase your CTA, is this true? If so, where would I find it in bulk?

Thanks,
Mike

You are mixing up CH and CYA, the de-icer will add calcium (CH) to your pool, not CYA (cyanuric acid, which is stabilizer).

geturdone said:
Ah, gotcha...I found 3.75 lbs of stabilizer at Lowes for $15 so best price I found so far so got some.
Good job. As a bonus, you didn't have some ninny trying to sell you some miracle snake oil.

It is better to go low on the CYA addition. It's easy enough to add more later, no way to easily remove too much besides draining.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.