Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is the most cost effective way to raise CYA?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is the most cost effective way to raise CYA?

Greetings!

What is the most cost effective way to raise CYA? I've read somewhere to put calcuim chloride in a sock in the skimmer but can't find the article anymore on Google so not 100% that is what it said. Secondly, if this is true, where can buy this at in bulk. My CYA is 15 so need to add alot.

Second question, is it ok to run SWG with CYA at this level?

Thank you,
    Mike

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: What is the most cost effective way to raise CYA?

Welcome to the forum.

Simply, the most effective way to buy CYA is to purchase it by itself. Calcium chloride contains no CYA.

It's fine to run your SWG but you are sucking up a lot of chlorine with your CYA that low. You will have to dial SWG back when you put in CYA.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

There is no commonly available substitute for cyanuric acid. You need to get it from a pool place. That said, there are usually some fairly good deals at Amazon and WalMart.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Lowe's carries it as well!
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

I, as well as a lot of other folks, have found that the CYA from Walmart seems to dissolve very fast.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everyone for posting so far. I read somewhere where the stuff de-icer is made out of is good way to increase your CTA, is this true? If so, where would I find it in bulk?

Thanks,
    Mike

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by geturdone
    Thanks everyone for posting so far. I read somewhere where the stuff de-icer is made out of is good way to increase your CTA, is this true? If so, where would I find it in bulk?

Thanks,
    Mike

You are mixing up CH and CYA, the de-icer will add calcium (CH) to your pool, not CYA (cyanuric acid, which is stabilizer).
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Ah, gotcha...I found 3.75 lbs of stabilizer at Lowes for $15 so best price I found so far so got some.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by geturdone
    Ah, gotcha...I found 3.75 lbs of stabilizer at Lowes for $15 so best price I found so far so got some.
    Good job. As a bonus, you didn't have some ninny trying to sell you some miracle snake oil.

It is better to go low on the CYA addition. It's easy enough to add more later, no way to easily remove too much besides draining.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Amazon is about 6% less expensive than the Lowes price you posted if you get 8 lbs.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for sharing...it all adds up

12. Back To Top    #12

Welcome to tfp, geturdone

We are always interested in test results if you have some
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

If you don't know the difference between CYA and CH, you need to read and study Pool School.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit