How do I diagnosis channeling in the sand filter?

It can easily take a sand filter a week to clear up the water, and the week only starts after all of the algae is dead. Chlorine attacks live algae, but does not react further after the algae is dead. Usually dead algae turns while, but some kinds of algae stay green even after they are dead.

Another question: so I have been just running the filter 24/7, keeping chlorine levels high. TOnight, the pressure on the filter had increased quite a bit so I backwashed. WHen all the algae is dead and I have milky color pool water in the past, the backwash water is just a milky white color, or green if I haven't killed all the algae. Tonight, the water was a fairly dark brown color, like coffee with some cream in it. Should this concern me? I just don't remember ever seeing this color of backwash water before. ?????

Okay - I am ready to cry over all this....still no progress on the cloudiness. Shouldn't I be seeing some improvement by now after a few days of shock level holding, good test results, and running the filter 24/7?? I am considering going to the <gasp!> pool store and try something different. I have gone through at least 30 gallons of 12% bleach in the last couple weeks and feel like I am not making progress. Any other suggestions? I still can't see below the 2nd step of the ladder.

Okay (taking deep breath....). It is not surprising that there is NO visible improvement? I just want to make sure, because I look at the pool and see no improvement at all. Five kids are very anxious to get in that darn pool, so I want to make sure I am headed in the right direction.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.