Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Pump tripping breaker

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Pump tripping breaker

Hello everyone,

I woke up this morning and found that the pool pump was not working. I checked the breaker and it had tripped. I turned it back on and the pump worked for about 2 minutes and then it tripped again. Once again I tried with the same result. The pump has been running for about a week with no issues until now. It's a Hayward super pump. What's the best way to proceed? I'd like to know if this is a pump or wiring problem.

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Hayward Pump tripping breaker

You don't say, so my assumption is that it HAS been working fine? What's changed? Is there any dirt, trash, etc. that's been sucked into the pump? Have you checked the impeller?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi,
    This is my first pool, so my knowledge is somewhat limited. I did find a manual online and removing the pump seems fairly simple. So first thing would be to check the impeller? There is some debris, leaves mostly from trees, in the area. I guess debris getting inside might cause it to overheat? It's been dry, calm weather the last few days so don't think it's weather related. The previous owner had the pump "serviced" and/or replaced prior to the seasonal closing last fall, as he did mention he had issues with it, but not sure if it's the same issue I'm experiencing now. Can I bypass the pump somehow so that I can rule out the wiring? How would I go about doing this?
    Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

You can certainly test the line voltage with a meter to confirm the pump is receiving power. If you don't know how, I would suggest you call an electrician to fix your pump.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

It sounds like a motor problem. I would take it to a motor shop or pool store and have them check it out.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

A breaker tripping is not always a pump problem, sometimes as breakers get old they can get weak and trip at a lower amperage than they should, without a good clamp style amp meter to test with often the only way to elminate this possibility is by swapping out the breaker with a known good one.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

So I removed the motor cover and noticed a loose wire (green) touching the cover. I figured this must be the cause of the short. So I taped up the wire and we're back in business. But why are neither of the green wires going to the motor being used? Is it running on 120v only then? Only the incoming black and white wires are connected.

8. Back To Top    #8

green is the safety ground wire, it connects the motor frame to your building ground, it touching the cover should have no effect on the motor running.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1
    green is the safety ground wire, it connects the motor frame to your building ground, it touching the cover should have no effect on the motor running.

Ike
    It's possible it may have been touching something else in there then cause it seems to be working fine now. There are two green wires though and neither connected at the moment. Should I leave it as is then?

Thanks for the help.

10. Back To Top    #10

No, the green from the power feed should be connected to the grounding screw inside the cover. It's not safe to operate without that ground.

Can you post a pic of the wiring?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    No, the green from the power feed should be connected to the grounding screw inside the cover. It's not safe to operate without that ground.

Can you post a pic of the wiring?
    I confirmed with my local shop that the green wire is the ground and that there should be a grounding screw behind the cover. I looked around and the screw was missing but the spot was clearly marked GND. So the wire was reconnected to that grounding point. Thanks for the help. Hopefully I'll have a trouble free pump for some time to come.